ROFL.
The comment about opening a can of worms seems just right
AND a bit humorous.. getting flytossers involved in worms.. LOL

Great ideas - each and every one of em.

The tag idea is great. This bb uses em. For those of you that aren't aware of what this is .. Look at the Search menu option in the header. Click on it. Then click on Tag search. Type in panfish and you end up with all the panfish articles since Readers Voice was started.

These are powerful but can be abused. Tags if entered free hand by the evaluator can be mistyped so you end up with tags dry Dry DRy Drie etc..
And each tag is specific to it's subset.

However using tags or some other mechanism that are selected from a pre determined set via checkbox/radio button/ or pull down could work.

I like the material option too. None of the selection items need to be used remember, you get to choose which ones you want to restrict the 1000+ fly patterns.

It would be very cool to select Dry caddis or whatever makes sense..
and see a list of materials show up that COULD be used if you wanted..
then you select the materials you don't have and the patterns using it go away from the list..

LOTS of good ideas here. Each of them has different requirements. And the BB section reserved for the flies allows you to free form enter comments on whatever I am not thinking of.

Thanks for the inputs guys.. I'll let this run another week and then distill the information overload to a single button... RANDOM CHOICE... ya.. that'll work.

ROFL
Thanks for all the great ideas... don't stop yet!
--Ron--