+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Newbie (to FAOL anyway)

Default Another Newbie (to FAOL anyway)

Hello All! Before anything else I'd like to say "What a great site!"

A little about myself... I'm currently living in Yerington, Nv. It's a great place for fishing with the eastern Sierras within an hour, Tahoe, Pyramid Lake and the wonderful East Walker River just up the road.

I've been flyfishing since the mid 80's and have had the pleasure of fishing from Alaska to Venezuela and have caught everything from panfish to tarpon on the fly. I've been extremely lucky and blessed. Flyfishing takes you to the most beautiful places. My first fly rod was an Ugly Stick!

As for those learning this wonderful way of life....... patience is definitely a virtue. Learn from someone who has been around a while. Way back when, I happened to take the aforementioned Ugly Stick and booked a couple of days on the Madison.... one down the "beartrap" canyon (for plunking bitch creeks and other assorted nymphs) and another on the narrows above Ennis Lake (for dries)... What I didn't know when I picked a guide was that I happened to pick the legendary Johnny France. It was a wonderful experience with many a tale being told and some great casting lessons. I can't tell you how much that one trip did for my continued pursuit of this wonderful sport.

Cherish every fish you catch.. I've never been much of a fish eater, but even if you are, consider releasing what you catch. I think you'll find that whether it's a 6 inch brookie or a 100+ pound tarpon each fish you catch on a fly is special and will have it's place in your memory.

Sorry for running on.... Thank you again for allowing me in your wonderful group. I hope I can add some value!

Wes

Smile Greetings trout7X ...

... and welcome from SE Idaho.

Sounds like you have a wealth of experience and stories to share with us, and can contribute to more than the one little slice of the fly fishing universe that some of us* are limited to, for whatever reason.

John

* My slice is wade fishing small creeks to medium sized rivers for trout in the Intermountain West. Really enjoy reading about the other kinds of fishing folks on this board do, from around the country and some other parts of the world.
    The fish are always right.

Hi Wes and welcome to FAOL from sunny SO CAL. I've been through Yerington a few times. You are close to some nice waters there without being crowded by anything. Hope to see some posts with pics from you. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Welcome, Wes!
    Sounds like you have a lot to offer in experiences.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Welcome 7X

Hi 7X,

Welcome to the best fly fishing site on the Internet. Sounds like you have lots of know how and experience. Please contribute frequently. There's lots of good people here but there always room for more regulars. Take care! 8T

Talking

Welcome 7X from South Central Pa. I think you will enjoy your time here. Great bunch of guys and gals that make you feel right at home and one of the family. Looking forward to your posts with photos of your fly fishing journeys.
    Bernie

Welcome from Eastern Washington as well.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Let Tenessee jump in here with a big Welcome Aboard!!

Welcome to FAOL from Tennessee! You found the best home and family to join and we will look forward to hearing from you often.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I'll join Jack and Warren and say, Welcome from TN!

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread