CLAY you will have to go to a tyer in the 30's to get a true no vise tyer. When I learned from my father we didnt have a vise. Now in my 80's I'll have to take it up again for a show. I made dads vise in later years,first with a pin vise and c clamp. then a true cam vise in high school shop class.
The master of no vise tying was Lee Wulff. He never used a vise. Ive sat at his tying desk.still with all the material layed out--no vise. At one show a couple years ago we watched a man tie a Royal Wulff. Dont try that as a first attempt. You use three fingers--thumb first and second finger.

Take at least a large size such as a 8 hook and tie a wollybugger. Cheat a little my starting the thread and half hitch in the rear. I hold the hook in my left hand between the thumb and second finger. With the right hand add the marabou tothe rear holding it down with the first finger ,wrap and half hitch. Tie in the hackle and chenille and half hitch again. Wrap thread to the eye half hitch again wrap chenille half hitch wrap hackle and tie of with a half hitch again for a head. As you can see the secret is holding down the material with you left hand first finger and tying it down with a one wrap simple half hitch each time to hold the material in place while add another part. No your confussed BILL