+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade rod holder float tube.

Default Homemade rod holder float tube.

Just got a float tube. I was wondering if anyone has ever built their own rod holder for their tube? I have alot of PVC tubes lying around but am having trouble figuring out how it would have to be cut/mounted
    Janus

Janus , this ought to keep you busy...

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/F...gi?post=202149

And if you don't want to build one ...I find this one really handy...the holder itself comes out so I leave the shaft strapped in place.

Thanks for that link that is mind boggling! but I think I might have gotten some ideas.
    Janus

Heay those guys, specially Pat - Tube Dude, give a whole new meaning to PVC.
    I really am amazed with what some do. Tubes are suppose to be light and easy to pack, but these guys have GOT to demolish golf carts to get their TUBES to the water.
    Heaven forbid, they spring a leak...they will loose hundreds.

Real simple rod holder. Take a piece of PVC maybe 10" long. Right OD of course for you rod to fit in.
    cut a long slit in the side and a notch out like the one in Ducks picture so that the reel can drop into the notch and be safe from accidentally falling out.

now on the back side of the PVC cut two 1 to 2" slits going across the width of the PVC or even slightly at an angle. You want to create a BELT LOOP in the PVC.
    Then get some Nylon strap or a belt like the Military, long enough to go around your tube.
    Piece of cake and CHEAP!

However, if you do go the Big Fish Tackle way...Shig Speed has a sweet set up.

BUT! if you put a lawn chair on YOUR tube...I don't know you.

I appreciate those instructions. I think I'm gonna try making one up this weekend.Thanks.

Joni, I knew you would come in...

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Joni, I knew you would come in...
    I need to take some pictures of what I am trying to describe. It was my first rod holder when I had the donut.

Now I am like you, I have the one in your picture plus several Scotty's.

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Default My rod holder

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Just got a float tube. I was wondering if anyone has ever built their own rod holder for their tube? I have alot of PVC tubes lying around but am having trouble figuring out how it would have to be cut/mounted
    Janus

I designed my rod holder to pivot from near horizontal to near vertical. The thaught behind this was to allow for easier launching and beaching in the vertical position and down out of the way for casting clearance.
    I positioned the tube at the place I wanted and drilled a hole in the fitting through the tube. Then pivot the tube to the second position and through the same hole drill the tube. Disassemble the joint cut a slot in the tube to connect the two holes reassemble the joint install a screw, star washer, plain washer and nut. Lock the nut with super after adjusting the tension required to hold the tube firmly in place but still allowing it to move.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the ideas. I ended up just using velcro strip tie downs on the d-rings to secure the extra rod to the side of the tube. This should get me by until I find something long term that works for me.
    Janus

+ Reply to Thread