+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little metal eye 4 line to leader

Default Little metal eye 4 line to leader

to Mr. Hatch and everybody,

In another thread you stated you found out the little metal eye shoved into the flyline was not the best thing to use. But you don't state why it is NOT the best. Why isn't it?

I have mentioned this little metal eye 2-3 times on here and no one has yet to provide the negatives of it.

I have had a pretty good break in fly fishing, like 47 yrs. But been back at it for couple of yrs now. I would like to know what the negatives are for using the metal eye. I have read a lot about the "best" knot for line to leader and intend to practice and try some of them. However, every time it is time to go fishing, off I go with my current set up. I still use the metal eye. I have never never ever tied a leader to a line. I have never ever had the end of the fly line to leader fail. I have never had any eye come our or break. EVER. It will float with your floating flyline, just like the fly does. If it is a sinking line....so what it it sinks? I sincerely am not being challenging. I guess I am showing my igorance. I do not understand why the metal eye is never used by "accomplished" fishermen. I only need to know one knot....the same knot I tie the fly on with, I tie the leader to the metal eye with. Sooooooo what's the big deal?

Gem
    Hopefully others have this same curiosity. Otherwise I am going to get slammed.

My main objection to the little metal eyelet (and I've used many) is that they seem to provide just enough weight at the tip of the line to cause it to sink. I never had one fail, and I've caught some fairly heavy fish on them. I've come to depend on the whipped loop because it floats better.

Dear Jim,

Why is it bad?

Honestly, tradition.

Succumb to that little metal eye and the next thing you know you will be attaching your flies to your leader with snap swivels!

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

They may also cause the line to hinge at the end of the insert.

I have no experience with these metal leader connectors, but I have seen them (on the shelf, never in use).

When I looked closely at those tiny barbs on those eyes, I doubted they would hold their position long enough to handle even average fish in reasonable currents. I think most flyfishers use either nail knots, needle-nail knots, or braided loops to attach their leader to the line. I believe all of these knots provide their strength by gripping around the end of the line; they do not rely upon a few small barbs that only make contact with the line's coating, the weakest part of the line.

Besides, fly fishing for many is a technical activity. Perhaps those metal eyes just make it seem too easy for most.

As I said, I have no personal experience with such connectors. But if they work for you, then that is what matters.

i have used one a long time ago-i know one thing some one said they wouldnt hold big fish the only way i ever found to get one out was too cut the line-they stay the line would break before they would??

------------------
    bob faorite past-times winter steelie fishing-fall bow-hunting-would write more but with my typing i would be here for wks.??

Here we go again. If Bugsy has never used one why is he replying at all?

Bugsy,
    Those little barbs do the job. As I stated before....I have never ever had one fail. And when you treat your flyline with floatant they float....they don't sink as some have said. I am not campaigning for them. Just wanted to know what I don't understand. I buy tapered leaders and cut the loop off and just tie them into the eye. I was just looking to improve but didn't know why nobody liked or used them. And as Commanche said......they don't lose a fish. The only way you can get one back off the line is CUT it off. It WILL NOT come back out. Just FYI. I think there are several brands and I can look up my favorite iffen anyone cares. But I do not like the ones at Wal-Mart. I have never had to fuss with knots fishing. Every time I go fishing the eye is there. I don't need nail knots or any other kind of knot. Just tie on a new tapered leader, tie on a fly and go fish.

Sorry for length of msg.
    Gem

Plain Old Jim

I have used them many years ago and, like you state, they work fine. I no longer use them because I found that they do cause the fly line coating to crack where the pointed end of the eyelet ends inside the fly line. They also make a 1/2" to 3/4", depending on the length of the eyelet, place in the fly line that will not "give" or be able to flex and this "flat" spot will hang up some times in the fly rod tip. Another thing I noticed was the barbs would eventually protrude through the coating of the fly line just enough to nick the eyelets and rod finish. They will also rust. They work just fine for what they were intended for and I guess if you are happy with them and are having no problems with them, you need to just continue using them. Life is too short to make changes just so you can be like all others.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I just make my own connectors with a little bit of ice fishing line (black stuff), 8/0 thread and super glue.
    Never really paid attention to how they float but they hold welll, never lost a fish yet.

later
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread