The original F.E.B. Hopper was tied with available materials on my tying desk. I was developing the concept and tying sequence and was pleased with the result, but not with the aesthetics of the original.

Picked up some materials which seemed more suitable for tying a fly more resembling the hoppers on the streams I fish. Also tied a CDC variation, using CDC in place of the deer hair for the wing. ( The new version has replaced the original in the first post on this thread. )

Fished both the deer hair and the CDC versions of the hopper on Birch Creek today. The hopper took a hit almost immediately on hitting the water, and moments later hooked up with a nice little bow. Didn't get a picture of that fish, but did get one of the brookie which was next in line just a couple minutes later.

Birch Creek was fishing good today. Fished the deer hair version for about an hour and caught somewhere around fifteen fishies with it. Fished the CDC version about the same length of time with similar results.

All in all, a very successful first day on the water for this new fly. Won't be the last day, for sure.

John