+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dad and the Kid 2009

Hybrid View

Default Keepin It Tight

Lookin good yal, Im missin out. I went to this place called Naha here in Ketchican for some trout and it went very well. Other then takin our skiff or boat if you will... scratchin across these massive rocks and along this wooden boat dolly then just to run out of oil. We had to have someone come and bring us some. I miss catching big trout cuz so far nothin over twenty, so wish me luck.
    UNITY

Kelly,

Great report. Those are some nice fish. WOW!!! Did you catch them all on the scud and pheasant tail or did you get any to come up for the emerger? Thanks

Beaver

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Kelly,

Great report. Those are some nice fish. WOW!!! Did you catch them all on the scud and pheasant tail or did you get any to come up for the emerger? Thanks

Beaver
    Beaver,
    We caught all of the fish on either the pheasant tail or a scud but I did have one take on the parasol emerger. It always suprises me when the take happans because i have grown accustomed to just watching it dunk as opposed to it being taken. Its usually the big cutts that give them a try.
    mgliss
    Get Em!

Great report and super pics. Gotta love those spring creeks, especially when they produce fish like thoose.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks, guys. This year, due to the high water, we haven't been able to fish the spring, so it was a very nice treat to finally get on our favorite water and catch some nice fish.

More to come.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Default Oops...

The Kid reminded me that he also caught and landed 7 fish on our spring creek trip, not 5 as I reported. Old age has a way of me counting in my favor, and I don't see anything wrong with that...do you? I even had to get myself a "Measure Net" so I could prove to my buddy Buzz that the fish I was catching were really as long as I was saying they were. Why won't anyone believe me?! Now, let's see, what was it we were talking about?...

Tight Lines,

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Well, we made it out again. With schedules tight and gas a little more than we would like we stayed close to home this week and fished our favorite spring creek. Water was down a bit more, but it looks to be the level it'll be at for the rest of the Summer. Still seeing the weeds and debris from the high flows of the South Fork that swept through a month ago and they appear to be around 30-inches higher than the present level.
    We arrived at 5:30, rigged up and were fishing by 5:45. There were a few fish on top, but we rigged up with our normal three-fly setup of a Parasol Emerger on top, a dropper about 18-inches down with a size #16 bead-head Pheasant-tail nymph, trailed by twelve-inches of tippet to a terminal fly of a size #14 olive scud.
    I was into a good fish on the second drift and the Kid a few casts later. My fish took the Pheasant-tail, while Mike's beast ate a Chan's midge like the one we used at Henry's Lake - Buzz would be proud.
    I ended the day hooking 16 fish and landing 12 of those, with 6 of those being smaller in the 12-inch range but the rest ranged from 19 to 22-inches. I also landed, in addition to mostly Browns, two Cutts, and a beast of a Cutt-Bow Hybrid. I've never caught a Hybrid in this water before, so this was a first. I caught all but one of my fish on the Pheasant-tail nymph, with one on an amber scud.
    Here are some pics:

First fish of the day - spot-on 20-inches

The Kid's first fish of the day

Big old Hybrid, 22-inches and around five pounds

One of the Kid's four Cutts

Another successful outing. The Kid has turned in to quite the Trout hunter and it's fun to go with him. He makes me wish for the days when I could get around better and go to places a bit off of the beaten path.
    Today the Kid is hiking in to Big Elk Creek up from Palisades Reservoir. We had a report yesterday that the big Cutts are hungry and en mass, so he couldn't wait to get up there. We'll have a report for you tomorrow.

Tight Lines,

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 07-24-2009 at 10:00 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

+ Reply to Thread