+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado info

Default Colorado info

I'll be at YMCA's Snow Mountain Ranch the end of July. It is between Winter Park and Granby. What trout fishing is in the area?

Co. River. Check out the area below the town of Parshall. Also you're close to Rocky Mtn. National Park.

Blog Entries

Default Estes Park

I don't think you are too far from Estes Park either which is also close to Rocky Mtn. National Park. In late May I fished the Upper Big Thompson River. A good deal of it runs right along the highway east of Estes Park. Pull offs are many and the fishing was excellent. Runoff should be over now so the fishing should be even better. Stop at Kirk's Flyshop right on main street in Estes and you can get all the info you will need.

Smile

Thanks for the info. Know about the Park and park waters and the East side, just never fished the west slope. Where are access places along the Fraser? small streams in the area? High mountain lakes/ponds.

P.M. if you don't want to share here .

They say you can fish the Fraser right behind the Safeway in the town of Fraser. Here's a link.

http://www.coloradofishing.net/ft_fraser.htm

This is also close by.

http://www.coloradofishing.net/ft_wmfk.htm

There are ample opportunities for fly fishing in the area. At Snow Mountain Ranch you are a stones throw from the Colorado River near Parshal, the Colorado River near Hot Sulfur Springs, the Fraser River near Winter Park and those are just the ones you don't have to hike to. The Fraser River in the town of Winter Park offers excellent fishing, right through the center of town! There is even some decent small creek fishing right in Snow Mountain Ranch on Pole Creek.

Within an hours drive of the YMCA I can think of at least 6 rivers that have excellent fishing. The difficulty will be deciding which ones to try first!

I would stop in at the Mo Henry's Fly Shop as you pass through Winter Park/Fraser and ask for some suggestions....they are an excellent shop and are always happy to provide info.

http://www.mohenrys.com/about.html

(Note: about 30 yards behind the shop is nice section of the Fraser river, the runoff is just starting to come down and the fish are crazy for San Juan worms, at least they were Saturday!)

Kengore, Thanks!! I was wondering if Pole Creek was fishable. How about Deadmans, Pumphouse and Corona lakes on the west side of Rollins (Corona) pass as a day trip with the family?

A lot of the small lakes in the hgh country are too shallow for fish to overwinter. I'm less familiar with the West side of Rollins Pass (I live on the East side) If the lake is less than 4' deep it will NOT hold fish, by contrast even the smallest creek will hold a few brookies. I couldn't find any of the lakes you mentioned in my 'Flyfisher's Guide to Colorado'. Doesn't mean they are barren, but probaly not hot spots.

Pole creek is typical small mtn. stream fishing. Small pocket water that holds a lot of 6-8 inch brookies, fun fishing with a 3wt, casts under 15'. The Colorado, the Blue, the Willaims Fork and the Fraser have Browns & Rainbows in the 18-20 inch variety, I bring a 4 or 5wt rod or my 7wt if I'm fishing streamers.

The areas known for bigger fish also have bigger crowds, if you looking for wilderness & solitude you will be happier on the smaller bakcountry waters. If you don't mind seeing a few others there is plenty of water for everyone. The big fish are also a lot harder to catch, some of these fish see a lot of anglers and are well schooled.

I prefer fishing streams over lakes. Stream fishing is constant activity with stalking, hiking casting and wading. The lake fishing is more of cast, sit and wait for the fish to find you, a little boring in my book.

If I were looking for a nice family outing I would head to Rocky Mountain Nation Park. There is a reason this became a national park, stunning mountain scenary, lots of fishable water and easy access. Don't be put off by fear of crowds, while trailhead parking can be hard to find, you can be all by yourself if you are willing to hike a mile or less away from the car. I like the head waters of the colorado at the Grand Lake entrance, the creek along fall river road is good fishing and the big thompson in morriane park is well worth your effort, picture postcard beauty with a nice alpine meadow creek.

The Rollins Pass/Corona area is also pretty, you will definately have less crowds. You can expect to do some steep gravel road driving (four wheel would be nice, but not required) You will have fewer choices of where to fish, less water. The fish will be smaller, life is tough at 12,000 feet - not much of a growing season.

Runoff is just now starting to taper off. Still lots of snow in the higher elevations, you will want your waders for high mountain streams where the July water temp might be 48 degrees. Keep in mind that it snows any month of the year in the high country, bring a decent jacket. Temperature swings of 90 degrees to 30 degrees are not uncommon.
    Last edited by kengore; 07-13-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Thank you Kengore.

The last time I was in the Park or anywhere near the area was about 11 years ago. Because this is a family vacation, I plan to be flexible and fish where I can, when I can.

We are spending 4 nights on the west side and 2 nights in Estes.

Here are some links to local fishing reports and hatch charts for RMNP.

If your staying in Estes Park you might consider using the Wild Basin entrance to the park. It's West of Estes along the Hwy 7 towards Allenspark. It's a sort of side entrance and has less crowds plus some real nice hiking and fishing (South St. Vrain River. Flows should be about perfect by the time you get here.

http://www.wildbasinoutfitters.com/c...ng_reports.htm
    http://www.kirksflyshop.com/articles_recent.php

+ Reply to Thread