I have a Fenwick FF706 that throws a Wulff TT5F 60-70' with no problem as I fish mainly medium to large lakes in southern NJ for Bass and Panfish. The casts don't need to be more than 25-40' but I always want to go out in the vacant lot next door to me (175' deep) and test a rod's maximum capabilities. A SA WF6F is sluggish when carrying 30-35' of line in the air for more than two false casts. Haven't tried a 4wt. line on it.

It loads immediately and has caught some feisty 'gill and several decent (2-3# bass) and, at only 7' it feels as if you're hand-lining; cast all day long and no fatigue. Gotta love that letter "C" bend, too.

Of course, the "industry" still dictates the market and stiff "it'll cast from here to Montauk" rods will be the norm, but, for participants who have gone through the BS and learned to fish, they will stick to, or go back to "fly fishing rods" and leave the telephone poles to the utility companies.

Nothin' like glass and ultralight for child-like fishing pleasure as I remember from the good 'ole 40s and 50s.

Jim