+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rising Trout Fly Shop Grayling

Actually, I'm still debating which way to go since I'm also considering the Elora Gorge - Grand River. both are nearly the same distance from home. Ontario being a bit more $ for us Yanks.

Anyhow, not to steal this thread, but if I end up in Grayling, I'll be sure to stop at both shops to see how they are doing.

A couple of folks out there will kill me for saying this but this one is simple...., so, shhhhhh... Grayling, hands down.

Maybe I better qualify that. Grayling, way CHEAPER, WAY MORE water to fish (you couldn't fish it all in a life time), three species of trout, wild trout...test your metal trout. Gin clear water. You can find wadeable - fishable water, no matter how much it rains (there have been very rare exceptions). You're choice, spring creek wild trout or stocked tail water trout (below Mio...and go ask Bob Linsenmann in Mio about where to go.) LOTS of hatches of various species of trouty bugs throughout the day. (walking upstream is harder) Camping $15 a night. Spikes, Keg of Nails, Gates Ausable Lodge (great food in the restaraunt, and a beautiful setting)

The Grand (Elora)...brown trout only, Tail water only... a few miles of trout water only (Bass are out of season until the end of June). Crowded on the weekends (only a short drive for 6 million + people) The good part...lots of not so smart stockies. I know that area very well. Not as many hatches to worry about. Caddis, caddis and more caddis... tiny yellow crane flies, midges, isopods, maybe some cahills, BWO and Iso's. A big rain can cause the dam to open and blow the river out or cloud it up...so keep an eye on the weather. You just have to be willing to share your water with folks who grow roots where they fish. I can steer you to some good guides and a couple of shops where you can get good info in case you want to come this way.
    Camping at Elora $30 a night...but it's very pretty... (Elora has some nice spots to eat or get some beers, too). Oh I forgot one detail... the AuSable has the canoe hatch...Elora Gorge has the Tuber and kayak hatch. (you can get away from them though)
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 06-09-2009 at 03:21 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Wink Sometimes I talk to much (errr..type)

Understood....ya, Grayling, hmmm. Looking good.

I plan to visit both next time I'm there. Plus I want to hit the North Branch Outing club in Lovells and checke their shop. I want to go by June 17th.

North Branch Outing Club is nice. I like that it's rustic and they keep it just like it was in the 30s....right down the the bare light bulbs in the bed room ceilings and the shared washroom facilities. It's a Bed & Breakfast and the breakfasts are good. No dinners are served there.
    I believe my great grandfather was a member back in the day. The folks there are very nice and are a long time local family. The shop is small but fun to go through. There is a lot of history there. They have a Trout Festival coming up I believe on the July 11th weekend.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

My wife and I are in Grayling now, and the road construction downtown is hurting an already depressed area, with the two shops right in the middle of it. However the fishing has been nothing short of fantastic. Sulfurs on the main branch and an all day brown drake hatch on the south.

10" brookie on a sulfur

nice brown on brown drake

19"brown on drake

Brown Drake

^ oooooh...nice.

Blog Entries

I am a native Tennessean and I love my state. I grew up fishing the Harpeth and Duck Rivers. I love both of them. I was talking with a local guide several months ago and he said that although the Au Sable isn't my home stream, it is clearly where my heart is. There is a great deal of truth in that. I can't make it there this year (no vacation time). I hope to be able to make it there next year.

I still want to see Warrenp suit up and fish the Au Sable for the first time. On the other hand, falling in love might be a private sort of thing...

Ed

When in Grayling, I never do business with the in town shops. I always head to Rusty's fly shop at Gates lodge. He has everything and with 6 guides on the river daily and all of the fly shop staff being anglers the info on what is happening where is as good as it gets.

Roy

+ Reply to Thread