+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rod & reel opinions

Default rod & reel opinions

After some shopping, I'm considering purchasing a Sage 890-4 and a Sage 3400 drag.

I'll be using this in Mongolia and also Bone fishing. Does anyone have any thoughts good or bad about this equipment?

Thanks!
    Topper

I don't know anything about the sage reel, or how much you are looking to spend, but Cabelas and MRFC both have Ross Momentum reels for 1/2 price (MRFC has RIO lines for 1/2 off). I just ordered one of these reels last week, and am hoping to get it in this week. Everything I've heard or read is that a reel is pretty important when fishing for bones. So take a look and see if it is in your price range.

The Sage 3400 was about $600, I can get it for 285.00. The Sage 890-4 is about $200.

I think the price is ok, I was wondering about the performance.

It's an 8wt rod

Thanks!
    Topper

You might state the model of Sage Rod? There are a few. The designation you listed specifies an 8wt, 9' rod, 4 pc. But it could be an XP, Z-Axis, or one of their other lines of fly rods.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    The Sage 3400 was about $600, I can get it for 285.00. The Sage 890-4 is about $200.

I think the price is ok, I was wondering about the performance.

It's an 8wt rod

Thanks!
    Topper
    You can get the line, reel, backing, and shipped from MRFC for less than 280. Ross makes reels, Sage makes rods. I've always thought to buy Rods from rod makers and reels from reel makers. (As I say that my other two reels are sage and loomis, but they were gifts)

Default Beginner

I'm an idiot. Gosh, I'm so tired of being the butt. I have a low I.Q. and I'm sorry to bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    I'm an idiot. Gosh, I'm so tired of being the butt. I have a low I.Q. and I'm sorry to bother you.
    Defensive? You asked for opinions. I was just trying to point you to a deal I found and ordered for myself last week. Of course I'm new to saltwater fly fishing as well and wasn't trying to come across as narcissistic. Personally I was amazed at how expensive the saltwater lines were, and the 1/2 price RIO is water steered me towards MRFC.com. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I also intended no offense, Topper. I don't own any Sage rods, but thought my suggestion might help you get some worthwhile reviews from the other folks here regarding the particular model of rod you are considering.

Sage seems to be a very good company overall, so I'm sure you'll be pleased with your purchase. Sounds like you're getting a really good price on your gear!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Topper
    I have looked at the Sage reel and have to say it did not give me the warm fuzzy feeling... We work reels hard on salmon and I have torched more than a few high dollar reels in the process. The older Sage reels, made by Hardy, were bombproof. I have a 506 and it has been used hard and yet still looks nearly new.

As a guide I use a lot of gear and try to have lots of variety on hand for different conditions and experience levels. We have about 35 Hardys, for example and some of virtually every major brand. We have 6 Hardy Huskys, 2 multipliers and 4 standard, and they have been used extremely hard. They have almost no problems after 15 years on several of them. All that is required is the occasional cork replacement. A dead simple, tough reel. That is with literally thousands of salmon per reel...

The reason I am going through all of this, even though I have limited direct input on the reel in question is simply the gut feeling I get looking at the reel's internals. It would not be a first choice for me, especially in the price range. I also think there is a reason they are available cheap...
    art

Blog Entries

Maent to add... Husky reels are regularly available on ebay for less than $200.

Major downside to the Silent Check Hardy reels is the gravity check system... They can only be used in right-hand wind. There are some that swap them and use a small spring retrofit, but they are not reliable.

The Zenith is exactly the same as the Husky, but click pawl. Not palmable, either.
    art

+ Reply to Thread