Joe -

Cool !!

NightAngler has a similar fly which incorporates polar chenile, which he calls the Hibernator.

I couldn't get the hang of it, but the way Leonard explained it to me, after you tie the zonker to the shank at midshank, and before you start wrapping it as a collar, tie in polar chenile ( Leonard sent me a couple different color combinations - one with red chenile on sculpin olive zonker and one with blue chenile on black zonker ).

Each time you take a turn with the zonker, take a following turn with the chenile, stroking both materials back as you wrap them to keep them from getting bound down as you wrap the collar forward.

After finishing the fly, use something to pick out any of the chenile fibers that have been trapped while wrapping the collar.

Leonard's Hibernator worked great on the trout out here, and it probably would have all the flash your bass could hope for !! If it sounds like something you want to try, you might send a PM to NightAngler to get a first hand description of how he does it. He's been pretty busy lately and hasn't been logging on much, but be patient and I'm sure you'll hear from him.

John