+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spin fisherman....

Hybrid View

Normand Guest

Default spin fisherman....

...are no doubt nice people except when your fishing a hole and one of them parks his azz 10 yards away from you when there's a couple of miles of accessible river where no one else is fishing! adding insult to injury, he pulls out a 12-14 inch rainbow directly in front of you! now that would just pizz off just about anybody. i'm still fuming!!

sorry for the rant. i wont bore you with the asian bait fishermen from last nite

What can you do, Laugh or push him in?
    All the best.
    Mike

I spin fish far more than I fly fish, but I promise I would never do that to you.

That's low. I hate when people do that.

I've seen many fly fisherman do the same...

Blog Entries

Just last weekend a friend of mine (spin fisher) was fishing along the beach. Along came a group of fly fishers who moved right in. Rudeness and inconsideration is not the property of any one group.
    Steve

I was fishing the Gunpowder River in Md when a fellow flyfisher not only did that but it was much worse. Was fishing a pool w/ about 10 rising trout when all of a sudden this guy just comes walking up the stream right through the spot I was fishing. When I asked him what he was doing he said "your dog put my fish down in that pool below so now i'm putting yours down." I don't own a dog and it wasn't mine so when I told him he tried to be nice and offer me some flies. I just walked away.

Default kayakers-both kinds

First type - three "dudes" come floating by, guzzling their "Buds", whooping, hollering, laughing and cussin' - oblivious to one and all - drift right through my fishing lane as I reel in line and stand there deciding if it was even worth it to say anything. Twenty-five yards downstream one of the jerks tosses his can in the water and is busy opening another can of suds and his kayak turns around till he is drifting backwards. Not a lot of current in this part of the river; but, enough to send this jerk into a small log jam, flip him over and dump all his goodies and him into the river. Yes- there is a god sometimes!

Second type - Fishing the upper end of a bend in the same river a couple of weeks ago and see a kayaker come paddling slowly upstream around the bend towards me. As I'm deciding whether to reel in and wait till he passes this gentleman heads for the river bank, gets out of the kayak, grabs a bow line and proceeds to slowly pull it up just barely off the bank while wading along very quietly. Says he hopes he didn't bother me and asks how I'm doing. I'm about flabbergasted at this point and we exchange pleasantries. I thank him for his consideration; especially since he's wading with only sandals on and the water temp is about 56 degrees. He ends by telling me that he needed to get out of the river anyway cause he didn't feel like paddling up through this faster stretch. What a pleasant surprise considering what usually happens on this river.

I've read a few of the posts on this subject and we all have our horror stories to tell.
    I like to just think to myself ,once my bile has settled and my ire has abated (dang that was a good one) that the vulgar and crude are always in the foreview of the witty and knowledgable and are unquestionably unaware of their boorish mein.
    That said ,chuck rocks (pretending your skipping stones ) into the pool that they hog into .

I've had just as many, well actually MORE fly fishermen and women do that to me than any other............
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Cold Guest

So another question: how old is old enough to know better?

Last weekend, I was fishing a popular stream (probably the same one as Bill, near the boy scout camp), and things were kinda packed to begin with. I got ready, and two guys who parked just before me did the same and moved off downstream. I decided to fish just above another guy, in the next hole above him. Close, but not crowding.

Soon, two boys come down the trail and set up shop between us, throwing big 3/8 - 1/2 oz. spinners and 5" crankbaits for stream trout. Nearly every cast from the one kid crossed my line for about 10 minutes, before he started casting across instead of up.

Now, I didnt say anything, because they were kids. But I think that 12-14 is plenty old enough to know where you do and dont have enough room. Still, if they were that misinformed about lure selection, I guess it suggests they didnt know much about fishing in the first place.

+ Reply to Thread