The issue of detailed fishing reports, or "spot-burning" as I've heard it referred to on other sites, is a hotly contested issue in many online fishing communities. I dont feel that it was a major problem until the advent of the internet, whereby information can be conveyed by anyone, instantly, to hundreds, if not thousands, and possibly millions of readers. It's situations like this one here at FAOL, and especially popular, localized forums (say...for Potomac river anglers only) that a little discretion is in order.

It's one thing to say, "A buddy and I hit the North Fork of the Big Watery River below Metropolis this weekend. Ended up catching about 20 fish between us. We were throwing buggers and large streamers."

But its quite another to say, "I fished Muddy Trickle Creek yesterday and caught 20 trout in a little over an hour. I parked behind the old general store in Smalltown and walked down the path to the hole with the big sycamore tree beside it. I tried several flies, but they were only hitting on a size 14 light green caddis larva with a bit of flash in the tail, weighted with a single piece of shot 18" above. I'd cast up to the saucer shaped rock at the head of the pool and drift about 10 feet, then twitch the rod tip, and that's when they'd hit. Bite picked up just at dusk."

Obviously, the value of a fishing report deteriorates rapidly over time, and obviously, not even 1% of the regular posters will probably go flocking to that place, but throw in an indeterminate number of lurkers, and the power of Google, and a hole that held 10-20 fish on Thursday might well be fished out by Monday.

I have no problem helping people out in any way I can. I've even gone as far as putting them in a spot, getting them setup, and showing them where and how to cast...but if its specific info, I do it via PM or, preferably in person.

Granted, we'll all have differing views, but I think I'm doing an okay job of toeing the line between being good to my fellow sportsmen and to the resource.