This is one of what I consider the two great mysteries of fly fishing. I once owned a great vest that I loved -It was a shorty that worked exceedingly well. But then I moved to where it was hot and the vest was old and too warm to wear - so then it began.

I have had three different fanny packs, they're OK but each had it's own little disadvantage that drove me crazy. Then I tried the chest vests, I've had a couple of those - terrible when they sit on a Beer Belly! They are in the way of every thing you want to do

Then the strap vests looked pretty good. I really like the design. If I ever get them untangled I may use one some day. That's if I can find a fly box that fits properly in the odd ball sized pockets. Whoever designed these things needs to be condemned to use one the rest of his life !!!!

Last week I decided I'm an intelligent person and know a lot about computers so I did an Internet search for the best solution. I decided to find the solution and force myself to stick to it for at least a year without changing. I decided on the Redington mesh vest.

It came in last week so I am still trying to get used to it. The pockets are the right size to fit a fly box. I bought the 2xx size so I can wear it over a jacket if I get a trip to the cold areas of the state and it looks really good. I see a lot of promise in this choice. I'll try to report back in about 6 months on how it performs.

NOW: If your just starting out wait till you get to the second "GREAT MYSTERY" of fly fishing. How to? and What to store your flies in? Have fun - that's what it is all about!