+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need substitute

Woo hoo! Good point!

And one can never have too many feathers about!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hi,

I was in the University of Manchester's museum the other day with my daughter while waiting for Vanessa to finish a meeting. There was a section on birds, one of which was a Tawny Owl. I had a look, then tried to find a Brown Owl to get an idea of what the feathers look like. Didn't find one. I see in Donald's post that he lists Tawny Owl along side Brown Owl, so I assume that indicates the two are similar enough as to be no difference.

I wish I had paid more attention now, and if I get a chance to go back I will. However, what I do recall is that the colouration is reddish brown and white. Pheasant and woodcock are mottled reddish brown and black. I know I have some cheap brown capes where the feathers turn white near the base (where the long soft fibres are) and so these might be a closer match. A "red variant" (think grizzle, but the markings are red/brown rather than black) might work ok too.

These, of course, are just suggestions for the colour matching and don't get around the issue of fibre quality that Hans mentioned.

- Jeff

Are we definatly talking 'Brown owl'? Or do we mean 'Barn Owl'?

A tawny owl is a brown mottled bird but a barn owl is much paler almost white.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Hey, Mick!

Many of the flies Pritt ties (The North-Country Flies) use "the darkest part of a Brown Owl's wing", or "hackled with a feather from a Brown Owl's wing".
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hi Mick,

Definately Brown Owl from Pritt's flies. The Tawny Owl I saw in the museum was quite white in the chest, and the wings were darker. I didn't get a chance to pull the feathers back and get a good look as it was behind glass and the museum curators were starting to get concerned! Anyway, with the amount of white on the bird, I would suspect that the wing feathers would also have white, especially near the base, so even the darkest feathers may be more "dark red/brown with white flecks/motteling" rather than the dark red/brown and black of woodcock and/or golden pheasant wings. However, as I say, I didn't examine it all that closely (because I didn't realise the Tawny and Brown Owl are similar/identical in look).

Curiously, I'm reading "Once a flyfisher", which is the fishing diary of Laurence Catlow from the UK. It appears this cronicles his 1999 season, and he mentions catching a few fish on a "Brown Owl", which is Pritt's 5th listed pattern, described as such:

Brown Owl
    Hook 1 (which would be a 14)
    Wings: hackled with the reddish feather from the outside of a brown owl's wing
    Body : orange silk
    head: peacock herl

I've tied similar using woodcock, but that becomes Pritt's 3rd pattern (winter brown).

- Jeff

It appears that there is a brown sub species of tawny owl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawny_Owl

This article gives brown owl as a synonym of tawny owl.

http://www.birdcheck.co.uk/main/prev...iewpage345.htm

More pictures:

http://www.stevenround-birdphotograp...awny%20Owl.htm

Bill
    Last edited by wsbailey; 04-23-2009 at 10:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread