+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Suggestions

1. Default Wilderness Suggestions

I have had great experiences backpacking in Yellowstone National Park to camp and fish Slough Creek, Lamar River and Cache Creek. I love being in a wilderness area, seeing wildlife, roughing it and fly fishing. I'm looking for ideas for next year. So any suggestions where I can pack it in a little, camp and fish would be appreciated. The opportunity to see wildlife would be a plus.

Anyone wanting information on the above mentioned spots, just let me know.

Hey there Sloughfoot,
    We must have at times crossed trails. I've done all three of the waters you mentioned above. Slough Creek is my favoritest of the three. My next fav, is the Snake upstream from Flagg Ranch. A tough hike but rewarding for great browns. Pepper spray a good idea here. Been there about 4 times and each time a a bear or wolf pack sighting. I've since learned to walk backwards to rival Michael Jackson.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

The "BOB" or Bob Marshall Wilderness. You have a real wilderness and the Middle Fork of the Flathead River. You might read: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc367.html:99d58]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc367.html[/url:99d58]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Slough Foot,

Don't know how far you are willing to travel, but Alaska is truly the last frontier. It doesn't take long to be in solitude and in areas of spectacular fishing.

There are many areas on the Kenai Peninsula and in the Matanuska-Susitina Valley that would be very easy to get to from Anchorage and away from it all with some great fishing.

If you are interested in considering Alaska and want more info, let me know either here or on a pm.

Ed

Wind rivers are pretty nice.

Some of the wilderness areas in the Sierra Nevada are nice, too, with really good weather and lots of golden trout. You don't have to worry about getting eaten by grizzlies, gored by Bison, or tracked down by wolves, either.

-John

Take a look at Rocky Mountain National Park.

It is, in my opinion, the nicest National Park we have.

Also, there is part of my guide service that does backpack and horseback trips into the interior of the Park. We can also take you in, drop you off, then pick you up at a pre-determined place and time.

Keep in mind that information is free, so drop me an email if you have any questions.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

7. Default

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll probably email you some questions when I have time to start researching your suggestions.

I have fished, camped and hiked in both the Golden Trout Wilderness and the Ansel Adams Wilderness in CA. There are pack stations as well. I love to hike but I usually go with my family and that makes backpaking a little harder as I have to outfit my kids who can't carry much so we have the packers bring the gear to predetermined locations and we hike in (dunnage trip). The fishing is really special as there are seldom any other humans seen and the fish are not pressured like they are in the national parks and easier access areas. Don't plan on getting there until June though (Sierra springtime). This past year the Sierras got a lot of snow and I had to wait until late June when the roads were cleared enough to get to the pack station. Fording rivers is dangerous in spring as well so mid July is better if you need to cross any streams that don't have foot bridges or natural bridges (giant redwood sequoia which have fallen across).

Jarbidge Wilderness

Why not the BWCA or Voyeger's National Park in MN for some good smallie and pike action. Great northern MN locations. JGW

+ Reply to Thread