+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from another newbie....(listens for the groans, lol)

Default Hello from another newbie....(listens for the groans, lol)

Getting back into flyfishing after about a 30 yr. lay off. Long story...

Anyway, as a kid when I fly fished, I used straight mono for a leader, no tippets.

I fished small ponds and streams, for bass, rainbows and panfish in central Missouri. I had no instruction, no one to ask. (When I asked my father for a fly rod for my 13th birthday, he looked sad, but got me one)

I've moved back to central Missouri, and want to fish the Meramec, Meramec Springs, and small creeks. Was toying with buying some leaders and adding tippets. Going to get a 4 or 5 wt. rod.

I was thinking, from what I've read on this forum, that I'd get about a 7' tapered leader.

For a tippet, I was wondering if anyone's tried spiderwire. Supposedly, the 6 lb. spiderwire is the same diameter as 2 lb. mono.

What do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

(sure wish I'd had this resource in 1973!

Cottonmouth

Welcome Aboard!! You'll enjoy it here for sure.
    As to the Spider wire, it won't have any streatch but give it a try and let us know how it works.

P.S. New guys make the coffee and chop wood!

Smile Greetings

Cottonmouth -

Just wanted to extend greetings and a welcome from SE Idaho.

Don't have any experience with spiderwire, so I really can't help you on your question. But given the quality of today's range of mono and floro tippet material, I wonder why you would consider a smaller diameter important ??

Also, for the kind of fishing you plan to do, have you considered furled leaders ?? Some folks on this BB are very knowledgeable about furled leaders, and have been known to offer a couple up to a newbie who expresses interest.

Yes, this is quite a resource. Take advantage.

John
    The fish are always right.

Welcome to the board, Cottonmouth.

I have used Spyder Wire Stealth and Stren Micro Fuse for furled leaders. For tippet I use mono or flurocarbon, fishing line or tippet material..
    Last edited by rons81; 04-08-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

ummm, what's a furled leader?

as for a smaller diameter, I just thought that if I could have a 6 lb. leader that was the same diameter as a 2 lb., then it would give me more strength without sacrificing stealth.

Is stretch desirable in a leader?

What I don't know would fill volumes...

Cottenmouth;
    PM your mailing address and I'll send you a couple of 7' furled leaders. One that will float for dry fly's and one that will sink for wet flys. They can last for a season or more.

You'll want a little streatch to act as a shock absorber when a fish hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonmouth View Post
    ummm, what's a furled leader?

Is stretch desirable in a leader?

What I don't know would fill volumes...
    Cottonmouth:

I can really relate. I too returned to flyfishing and flytying after a 30 year hiatus and am information needy. The products now available is truly amazing . The science of flyfishing and flytying grows exponentially. Thank goodness for sites like this one . Jay (Trout 5 Jay 0)

If you have not yet PMed Jack Hise on his offer of a couple of furled leaders I would do it asap. After trying furled leaders I will use nothing else. Jack makes them right on.
    Remember we all live down stream

Blog Entries

Jack Hise is known for his furled leaders indeed -- he's doing a demo on making furled leaders at Nabours and Friends benefit this coming weekend, http://naboursandfriends.blogspot.com/
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Smile Hi Cottonmouth,

I had pretty much the same story. I tied flies and fly fished from my early teens through my mid-twenties but I then got into big-lake bassing with hardware and plastic for the next 25 years. Came back to fly fishing in 2001 and never picked up another spinning or bait casting rod again. Getting back to fly fishing has tripled my fishing pleasure and enjoyment. Anyway, welcome back to the long rod and welcome to the best fly fishing site on the web. You are not going to believe the improvement in the new equipment.

In answer to your question, many of the warm water guys and some of the cold water guys use just plain mono line for a leader. Give it a try and see if the Spiderwire straightens out and delivers the fly. If it does that, the material is good. If the fly and the leader land in a mess of coils, it's no good. Hope that helps. Let us hear from you on a regular basis. 8T

+ Reply to Thread