+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hackle Gauge

Default Hackle Gauge

Anyone have a recommendation on a hackle gauge? They do seem to vary greatly , not only in price , but in measurement. From the few I have tried one make call a hackle a #12 and the next maybe calling it somwhere between a #14 and #16. I understand proper dry fly proportions and these do not seem to measure up.

Blog Entries

Part of the problem may be that different hook companies have different gaps for "standard" hooks. I have no Idea for a hackle gauge, I will watch this thread with interest as I could use one also.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I use a Griffin Hackle gauge and am pleased with it.

It mounts on the vise and can be pushed out of the way when not in use. It's convenient and inexpensive. I think fairly accurate.
    Last edited by rookie; 04-03-2009 at 02:24 AM.
    Steve

I just do a test wrap and see how it matches the hook gap. With parachutes (i tie LOTS of them) it does not matter as much just get it close.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    I use a Griffin Hackle gauge and am pleased with it.

It mounts on the vise and can be pushed out of the way when not in use. It's convenient and inexpensive. I think fairly accurate.
    I use one of these too. Slides on the post of your vise, Spin around out of the way when not in use. I use mine alot.
    Mark 1:17

I use the Griffin as well...it's accurate enough for me...

However, if you are concerned about 'accuracy' it's not hard to make one that's 'exactly' what YOU consider 'accurate' (it does vary a bit).

A. K. Best in his amazing work 'PRODUCTION FLY TYING' shows how to easily make one that meets your own requirements....

I made several, for different applications, and it didn't take more than few minutes to create each one.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

I have the one from hook and hackle. It also slides over the post, and has a hook gauge as well. Works fine for me, but I'm not a professional tyer by any means.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I used to have the Griffin one on my vice but as time passed I just use the hook gap as a guide. After you tie a few hundred or a few thousand flies you instinctivly know what feathers to pluck. It's like a mechanic can look at a bolt head and tell you what size it is. With all the hook variations out there you can just stick with the 1x to 1 1/2x the hook gap.

Jeff

3x5 index card. Line up the hook YOU use on the edge and draw a line where you want the hackle to come (1.5x gap, 2x gap, whatever). You can write above the line what hook size the line represents. Go along the edge of the card for each size hook (10, 12, 14, 16, etc)

If you use different brand hooks you can have a different card for each brand if you want.

When you want to pick a hackle, take the card and slide it between the barbs with the edge of the card against the hackle stem to measure prior to pulling out the feather.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

While I may or may not agree with the "sizing" on any and all hackle gauges, I do use one.

It really doesn't matter to me if the gauge says the hackle I plan to use on a size 16 hook measured as a size 18 hackle, what matters is that it is sized fast and easy and I can project up or down to the next hook size with ease.

That being said I think that even though it is pricey, the Whiting hackle gauge is the best for several reasons:
    • Because it is thin, with the aid of an O-ring it sits on the stem on a slant which makes it very easy to use. Of course you can swing it out of the way when not needed
    • It is well made of anodized aluminum and has no labels to peel off.
    • The pin that you bend the hackle around has a head on it that helps keep the hackle from slipping off while you size it.
    • It comes in different colors which is a nice feature for contrast and the fashion conscious.
    • It uses thick sizing lines rather than thin lines which gives you a range within a given size, and it has both white and colored markings so you can have contrast depending on the hackle color you are using.
    • With a little effort you can open a bottle of beer with it
    A second choice, although I don't know if they still make them is the Metz hackle gauge. It is round and aluminum and also fits on the stem on a slant which makes it very easy to use.

+ Reply to Thread