Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
As far a crushing a pair of $250 dollar glasses just by dropping them 4 feet were they in a hard shell protective case?
The genius screener picked up my briefcase and then dropped it 4' to the concrete floor. This was a soft sided notebook computer bag that goes inside another bag. The bag also contained a $3500 notebook computer among other things. The weight of the bag and the height of the fall and the angle of the impact popped the hinges of the glasses case, crushing it and the glasses inside. How the compter survived the fall I'll never know.

Back to the rods . . . As for who did it, I'm bet the ranch that it was the TSA screener who I know pulled the rods out. Why am I so confident? Because I spend a LOT of time in airports and have pelnty of first hand experience with those that were hired by the TSA. I fly between 70,000 and 120,000 miles per year. Yes, there are plenty of good folks but there are also a TON of folks who have no business in that position. Their language, attitude, mannerisms and so on make that very clear. I know a few TSA guys and they have shared horror stories regarding the quality of many of the hires. Used to be you could watch the checked luggage get checked but now it's behind closed doors. I was amazed at how TSA folks would handle someones personal property in public and can only imagine just how much worse it could be behind closed doors.

If a baggage handler for the airport or airline was going to steal the rods, they would have stolen them. I know full well that many in the chain can handle luggage poorly and also that accidents happen.

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
I use UPS, USPS, FedEx and DHL all of the time. They damage their fair share of freight too. Not beefing about it because it happens but I always insure my shipments. We us those agencies everyday to ship freight around the world to our troops. They do a great job as does the T.S.A. with our Seavan Containers for overseas shipment.
I use UPS all the time as well and they are certainly not perfect but at least I can insure property for what it's worth and if there is an issue I know it will get resolved fairly and quickly. The same cannot be said for TSA.

Now I would not go so far as to say nobody should travel to or through Springfield airport but I would caution folks to keep an eye on baggage they handle.