+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bobbins

Actually it's pretty strong. I don't tie a lot with hair where I'd have to really torque down on the fly. Most of my flies are catskill-style dries or wingless wets/flymphs. It doesn't take much to hold wood duck flank on a hook shank. If I'm doing hair wing flies or anything with deer/elk hair, I'll drop down to the 8/0 or 6/0.

Just don't catch the hook point while wrapping.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofsisyphus View Post
    GOOD LORD!!!! 12/0!!! I can just barely manage not to break 6/0!!! wow... just wow...
    I have a chart that says Unithread 8/0 has a breaking strength of 16 oz.

This same chart says that Bennechi 12/0 also has a breaking strength of 16 oz. I have never used it though.

I do like Griffith's 14/0 which also is listed with a breaking strength of 16 oz. This thread wraps on flat. Sometimes i put twist into it so it will not flatten out much because sometimes the fibers flatten out so much the the fibers start to separate out so that there is gaps between the fibers.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

Scruffy,

I'm a fan of the GG 14/0 myself, Really like it for smaller flies or when a lack of bulk is important. Good stuff.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofsisyphus View Post
    GOOD LORD!!!! 12/0!!! I can just barely manage not to break 6/0!!! wow... just wow...
    Sounds as though you might just have too much tension on the arms of the bobbin or you are 'choking' the thread as you tie and causing it to break.
    Correct bobbin tension cannot be achieved 'out of the box', you have to fine tune your bobbins to give just enough resistance to gravity and pull as you tie. Pulling too hard on any thread will cause it to break, it is just a matter of getting the 'feel' for the thread in use. Saying that, I still break the damned stuff at crucial moments from time to time!
    Have a look at the link below for some tuning tips.

TLs

Tuning Bobbins

Quote Originally Posted by Albannach Cuileag View Post
    Nice discussion there, thanks for the link.

Ah, but Benecchi is very strong thread. I think the strongest.
    I use it the most and love it.

AC,

I remember reading about those spacers Tupps made up for handling small spools, as Pearsall's. How are they working out for you? Looks like they would work a treat.

At the Tying Expo last weekend I picked up half a dozen Wasatch bobbin holders for Pearsall's. Yup, I'm a tackle tart as well, mate.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Ron,

Not trying to steal the thread, but I have several sets of the bobbin spacers from Tupps and love them. The whole set up seems to fit my hand nicely and they do a fantastic job.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    AC,

I remember reading about those spacers Tupps made up for handling small spools, as Pearsall's. How are they working out for you? Looks like they would work a treat.

At the Tying Expo last weekend I picked up half a dozen Wasatch bobbin holders for Pearsall's. Yup, I'm a tackle tart as well, mate.
    Ron,

they are the dog's danglies!

Work with any of my bobbin holders without changing the tension I use on th elarger spools.

Mighty fine guy, that Tupps is!

Tupp's bobbin spacers? Help me out here, guys.

+ Reply to Thread