+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone fish the Bitterroot in September??

Default Anyone fish the Bitterroot in September??

We just booked a trip to the Bitterroot the first week in September. Can't wait...fishing sounds fantastic. Any of you sage vets fished this area much this time of year? Looking for any good info I can get...though the local fly shops have been very helpful already. Thanks!

Blog Entries

You need to talk to Benjo. That is his old stomping ground. I drive past it and go to the Idaho fish-in, tho.

DG

Yeah, the bitterroot in sept is great. I'll be in hamilton all summer working, and you can bet on seeing me in the water on a daily basis. The river otter fly shop in florence is a very good fly shop! Also, the fishaus in hamilton, stranahans is small but good. Do not go to the fly shop on the very north side of town. It is bad! If camping go to the anglers roost on the south end of town.

Good Fishing!!

FlyDry32
    Fly Dry 32

My cousin lives in Stevensville so I try to get to MT to fish the Bitterroot at least once a year. I was there early last September and thought that the water was pretty low. I like to fish the West Fork. If you look at the map there are campgrounds along the West Fork (I think one is called Rondo or something like that). I agree that Fishaus is an ok shop. There isn't much as far as shops go in Darby so be sure to get stocked up in Hamilton. I don't particularly like Angler's Roost but it is popular. If you want an adventure you can go up Shalkaho pass and fish Rock Creek (pronounced Crick in MT).
    AZ

Quote Originally Posted by azcat1 View Post
    My cousin lives in Stevensville so I try to get to MT to fish the Bitterroot at least once a year. I was there early last September and thought that the water was pretty low. I like to fish the West Fork. If you look at the map there are campgrounds along the West Fork (I think one is called Rondo or something like that). I agree that Fishaus is an ok shop. There isn't much as far as shops go in Darby so be sure to get stocked up in Hamilton. I don't particularly like Angler's Roost but it is popular. If you want an adventure you can go up Shalkaho pass and fish Rock Creek (pronounced Crick in MT).
    AZ
    Funny! The campground is called rombo. I should know cause that's were i proposed to my wife then picked up my rod and landed a few cutty's! Anglers roost can be a little "towny", so theres plenty of free camping along the westfork. Go just beyond rombo campground and you"ll find one. Don't go over skallkaho without first stopping at the top of the pass to fish at Fuse Lake. Stocked solely with artic grayling! Take a float tube. Countdown to tuesday, that's when i leave to go to hamilton for the summer. Skwallas are hitting hard right now! Can't wait!

Steve
    Fly Dry 32

+ Reply to Thread