+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Free, Unusual, or Cheap Tying Material Thread

Default Good Stuff

First I want to welcome acal to the board. That's a good idea.
    This thread has really brought out a lot of good ideas for tying materials.
    I recently put up a new 6' redwood fence along the side of my carport. I have been finding cat hair by the hands full along the top. Good dubbing material in a variety of colors. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Addendum to my previous post.
    Made a trip to the .99 cent store and bought 600 hollow tube Q-tips for tube flies and found a package of medium length false eyelash clusters. Enough to make tails for 40 or so dry flies or tails and legs for nymphs. $2.15. The look on the cashier's face...Priceless. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I found that the felt sheets selling for ~1$ at craft stores make great wool heads on streamers. They come in many colors and absorb water very well. Just super glue it on the hook. you can also make nymphs with them by wrapping thin sheets of the felt onto the hook, and picking out the fibers.

Also, I have a friend at school who has dreds. I found out that they make great leech patterns,

I agree with Ducksterman - chamois worms - and you can also make them by cutting the leather in a modified "C"/spiral like a Mister Twister grub tail and tie it to the back of the hook as a tail so it wiggles on the retrieve. I put a bead next to it (near the bend) and dub the forward part of the hook a rosy/brown colour.

I don't use wire anymore for ribbing. The embroidery section of Michael's has tinsel embroidery in a variety of colours. My favorite is black although peacock is also good. Much more flexible than wire (can be 1/2 of a dubbing loop), and since it comes as 5 or 6 strand material it can be reduced to 2 or 3 depending (don't go down to one, it is too weak). Red is also a good colour for some ribbing. $1.99 for 10 yards.
    Craft cord is there in a variety of colours too, for those mylar tube bodies. Favourite colour is a white/pink/silver combo for minnows.

Default Ribbing

After reading GregH's post, it reminded me of ribbing material that I tried with success.

Use the remains of your various colored fly line backing as ribbing. If you have white, you can clamp one end in a vise and apply whatever color you want with waterproof permanent markers.

Being brand new at fly tying I just have to say, this thread is Awesome It has already been a big help to me. I don't have any tips of my own, but Jack told me he would go to the dollar store and buy flip flops for a dollar and use a leather punch to punch out peices of foam for ants and things like that.

I do have one tip, though it isn't for tying, I bought four zingers at wally world for around $2, they sell them for hooking on thier name badges, which is also their time card. I took off the little rubber flap and attached a key ring from some old key rings I had laying around then attached my nippers or whatever to that. I don't know how long they will last but so far they are working great.

I sure hope this helps someone, because it has been a big help to me.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Default Fly Tying Stuff

I am fairly new at fly tying. However, I have found suddenly that Michaels, Joanns and Hobby Lobby are some of my best new friends for shopping - feathers, foam, beads, thread, wire, tools, extra wooden spools etc. And the prices are about 1/3 to 1/2 of fly shops.

I have learned to make the neatest fly boxes for about $1.25. Michaels has these tin gift boxes (for gift cards) and Joanns has the thick foam. Cut the foam to size and insert. A good fly box at a very reasonable price. I used clear duct tape to create a hinge on the box so you can open it with one hand. Works for me.

For fly boxes for small to medium size flys try using those breath mint tins (Altoids is one). I use ripple foam on the bottom and flat foam on the lid. You can fit 4 in a large pocket with a minimum of bulk. For the smaller pockets the tins from Everest gum fit perfectly.

Alot of people get them, ask them to save it for you. I get lots this way. Some even still have the mints in them...I wonder if they are trying to tell me something.

Was at a store looking at close out items and spotted some small gift bags. The handles were red and silver, and blue and silver mylar. They have tied some interesting crappie flies.

+ Reply to Thread