+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coq-De-Leon

Hybrid View

Thank you Micke for the article. Alejandro is a notorius and a very well documented fly fisherman.

As far as I know, Whiting had CDL eggs. The problem is to obtain the same quallity of feather, the same problem they have in other regions in Spain.

Andres T.

I really think Whiting is off base on this one....misleading though I suppose technically correct....it causes

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I really think Whiting is off base on this one....misleading though I suppose technically correct....it causes
    Yes I think so too. What they are supplying is not anywhere near the same product as a genuine CDL feather from Leon.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

March Brown Wingless Wet (Image): http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweile...l_squirrel.jpg
    By Hans Weilenmann

Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I think it is misleading to say that Whiting is being misleading.

I first heard about CDL from one of the best tiers in our region - Bruce Staples - and he was referring to the Whiting CDL tailing packs and capes.

If you haven't heard of Bruce, check out the link. Note the comments about the author.

http://www.amatobooks.com/mm5/mercha...Category_Code=

There may be some history to the Spanish version of CDL that is distinctly different than the American version, but that doesn't make Whiting's claims misleading. I for one am glad that I found the Whiting version. I can afford it. It has made for some very interesting and productive flies.

If Whiting called their version something else, I'd refer to it by that name. But so what, except for maybe the reaction of some purists to making a good feather available to a wider market ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    I think it is misleading to say that Whiting is being misleading.

I first heard about CDL from one of the best tiers in our region - Bruce Staples - and he was referring to the Whiting CDL tailing packs and capes.

If you haven't heard of Bruce, check out the link. Note the comments about the author.

http://www.amatobooks.com/mm5/mercha...Category_Code=

There may be some history to the Spanish version of CDL that is distinctly different than the American version, but that doesn't make Whiting's claims misleading. I for one am glad that I found the Whiting version. I can afford it. It has made for some very interesting and productive flies.

If Whiting called their version something else, I'd refer to it by that name. But so what, except for maybe the reaction of some purists to making a good feather available to a wider market ??

John

Yes I take your point John except for the bit about making a good feather available to a wider market. I have no doubts whatsoever that Whitings feathers are great. I have a few CDL capes and saddles myself. But its a different feather completely, and I think its this which is certainly confusing me.....
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

I guess I'm just stupid... Not being an elitist I had no idea what those feathers were and when FlyGoddess started a thread about them....I was confused...as I researched them.

Quote Originally Posted by mickporter View Post
    Yes I take your point John except for the bit about making a good feather available to a wider market. I have no doubts whatsoever that Whitings feathers are great. I have a few CDL capes and saddles myself. But its a different feather completely, and I think its this which is certainly confusing me.....
    Mick -

I certainly don't mean to be argumentative - and Duck, I hope you weren't offended by my earlier comments.

There may be a big difference between a Corvette and a Corvair, but they are both still Chevrolets.

If it weren't for Whiting's version of CDL ( can anyone offer proof to dispute their claim that they developed their line from "original bird stock from the Leon district of Spain" - quoting from the Whiting Farms website ), there would be precious few people tying with feathers from that breed.

Perhaps instead of debating the difference in feathers from the same breed, we could be celebrating the possibilities presented by Whiting.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread