+ Reply to Thread

Thread: matching a rod to a new lamson V series reel

1. Default matching a rod to a new lamson V series reel

I'm looking to balance a Lamson V3 or V3.5 to a TFO Ticr 7wt...which one? I'll be bass'n with it so I might be over lineing, heres the specs.

VELOCITY 3
    3.50"
    1.20"
    5.80 oz
    WF7
    150 yds 20#

VELOCITY 3.5
    3.75"
    1.30"
    6.25 oz
    WF9
    200 yds 20#

I have a 3.5 on my salmon rod ... a 8 wt 10ft XP. I use a Radius 2 on a 6 wt axiom.

They both have plenty of room for backing. ... Question, ... do you really need a whole pile of backing for bass (never really flyfished for bass myself).

IMHO, ... the 3.0 should have enough backing space and not be overly heavy for that 7 wt rod.
    Christopher Chin

I have the v3 and recommend it for a 7 weight, its what I use and I think you would have a enough room for backing with an 8 weight for bass fishing. Bass don't really take you into your backing anyways.

6.25 oz minus 5.8 oz = .45

Less than 1/2 an ounce difference between those two reels. You won't even notice the difference no matter which one you put on. Now....is that weight the proper weight reel with backing and line for THAT rod is a different question. But between those two reels....it doesn't matter.

Gemrod

I've got a 3 on my 7wt, but as close as they are in weight, I think the issue will be less a matter of balance as line capacity. Depending on how much backing you think you need, the 3.5 might be a better choice if you upline. If backing isn't an issue, the 3 would probably be okay in both cases.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

6. Default

thanks for the replys gents, i'll probably go with the 3.5, seems like resale on that size might go quicker since its built more for 8 wieght line.

7. Default

Ok, got a nice deal on a V3 and went with that, I cant wait to put a line on it and listen to the drag work. Thanks for all the replys.

+ Reply to Thread