PRM,

Most of the wee wets I fish are spiders so I basically fish them as a dry. In the wee wets thread I answered Clay's question this way.

Clay, I start out fishing the spiders and flymphs almost like a dry fly. Upstream cast, allowing the flies to sink a bit. They are tied on light wire hooks so they fish in or just under the surface film. I try to keep the fly line straight between myself and the fly as upstream takes are quite subtle and you can miss a strike. The upstream cast also allows the fibers of the hackle to do it's magical waving about in the currents to imitate life. As the fly goes past me I let out a bit of line to get as long a drift as possible. As the line tightens and starts to swing the hackle usually lays back along the sides of the fly making it look like a nymph. The fly also starts to rise in the water column looking like a nymph going to the surface to emerge, again, imitating life. The takes on the downstream side are solid and often quite violent with the fish almost hooking themselves. When the fly is directly below me, I let it hang there for a bit then make a couple of strips in before recasting the fly. You get a lot of takes "on the dangle". Casting these flies to rising fish is a hoot. Something about spiders that trout can't resist. My go-to fly is usually a dark colored spider.

The flymphs and wets on a heavy wire hook I fish the same way unless the water only allows a downstream swing. I have nothing against fishing down and across, I just like to keep the fly in the water as long as possible.

I don't use weight on the fly or on the leader. If I can't get the fly deep enough with line control with a floating line, I switch to a sink tip or even a full sinking line.

REE