+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tieing flies

Default Tieing flies

Is it possible the music could make you a better at tieing flies.When i use to tie it was always quite,but lately i have been listening to music.I wouldnt suggest listening to Buddy Rich and a great drummer he was.But the music seems to make me more creative while tieing.Can anyone suggest how this is possible.

Try some Blue Grass!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Try some Blue Grass!
    absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Thumbs up

In teaching there is a concept called "acoustic wallpaper" which works excellently in classrooms, but many teachers are adamantly opposed to it -- because they refuse to understand it and believe it works.
    The idea is that if you put on familiar music it fades into the background and, instead of being a distraction, becomes a "white noise" and covers up other distracting noises.
    I used this very successfully in my high school classes, much to the chagrin of the other faculty. Kids could bring in any music they wanted (except rap) and I would play it. Every once in a while I'd catch someone singing, but usually to themselves and doing so while they were working on an in-class task. (Mentally multi-tasking)
    So...try this. Take an old favorite (Carol King's Tapestry, or best ofs like Chicago, or Doobie Brothers or America or Sinatra) and if you are the right age, you will hum along with it the first time then any other day you play it the effect will be audio wallpaper.
    I promise, it works.
    Nirvana's I]Smells like Teen Spirit [/I] is also perfect for this...really.
    Last edited by CoachBob; 03-04-2009 at 04:21 AM. Reason: correcting spelling

Vivaldi! Or other classics of the same period. It's been proven that the ~60 beats/minute of the music sets the brain into its most active mode. I taped some Vivaldi tunes for my wife, a sixth grade teacher (now retired). She played them quietly before class and between classes and saw an obvious difference in her classes attention and accomplishments.
    However, I prefer Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, and a few similar composers while I tie. The sounds of the River Warfe or River Ure on Oliver Edwards DVDs help me concentrate on good North Country Spiders. YMMV.

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

Ah now after all these years ...I know why I hummed doing my home work.

I'd agree with the bluegrass!!
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up I know others are going to object......

But give me that old time rock and roll! 8T

Give me the old time Bluegrass, good old mountain music, cajun and gospel and I can tie all night
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Just no head-banging or heavy metal!! (can you imagine what those flies would look like?!?)

I like New Age.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread