+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did anybody see the show on Georgia trout today?

Default Did anybody see the show on Georgia trout today?

There was a program on I think it was O'Neil. They were on a section of private land with monster rainbows. It was fly catch and release only. They were saying the water temp was in the high 60s. Where do those rainbows come from? You can just stock your river/creek with what ever you want? There were some monster trout in there but they only caught a few fish.

I saw it...

Yep, if you own it, you can stock it.....

Pretty place....Trout in Georgia, who'd have thunk it?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default Stocking Fish

Most states have laws & regulations regarding what what type(s) of fish can be stocked within that state. Oregon is one such state and I imagine most western states have regulations on this subject.

Tim

Didn't see it, but probably pellet fed fish. Same thing happens here in Co. on some private waters. Be like catching your pet.

they do it in texas also on some of the city lakes , put and take, kind of fun if that is the only game in town for trout.

robin

In GA you have to get a permit to stock fish. There are many places in the North Georgia mountains that have pay to play fishing. Average I hear is something like $400 per day for pelt fed fish. Some of the local fly shop sell pellet flies to match the hatch.

Roy

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default What RoyC says

There are several places in Georgia that are like this with monster, pellet-fed fish usually browns or rainbows. They come with a healthy price tag as Roy suggests. The owner of the local Orvis shop keeps trying to hook me into a trip to one of these pay to play fishing ventures. I think he goes along as a guide and gets to fish free. No thanks! 8T

Most likely it was the Soque River - it is all private with an exception of less than a 1/4 of public access where one hopes for one of those pigs to find its way there. Georgia does have a great public C&R on Dukes Creek where some big natives lie, it is open 3 days a week and no cost reservations for up to 15 anglers per session of 4 miles of creek -seen them at Dukes and shunked at the same time - smartest fish until the rains strain the water and the bite can be on - Mike

I like to fish the Little Juniata in central Pa. right before the Spruce Creek section. Good ol' Beaver from the much hated spring ridge club stock it w/ puppy fed trout and you can catch monsters on egg and san juan worm patterns all year round.

Makes you wonder...

Is this the future of fly fishing?....

Many folks don't have the time to do long treks to get to 'uncrowded' fishing...many folks don't have the skill, or the desire to acquire them, to take trout consistently on crowded public waters...but many of these same folks have money and a desire to catch fish, and maybe big fish, and are willing to pay for the priveledge. Guides, private waters, package vacations, all of these things are now available to get folks the most fishing for the least effort (on their part).

I know guys who NEVER go fishing without a guide...they don't want to think about figuring out the fish, they just want to catch them. Some folks I know don't ever fish locally, they only do vacation trips to places where the boats/tackle/guides are there to take them to the fish (often in places like the Bahamas, South America, or Canada), tell them how to catch them, feed them well, and provide comfortable accomodations.

Lots of people are working harder, working longer, and thus earning more..but they what they don't have is the 'time' to spend learning a hobby on their own. They look at leisure time as precious, and are willing to spend money, often lots of it, to optimize that time. It will be interesting to see how this economy effects that spending...it could go either way.

As land become more valuable, those that own it will begin to look for ways to optimize revenues...leasing their fishing...charging to fish..setting up 'lodges' on what used to be cattle ranches....getting into the service/leisure business on the side to help with cash flows...it's been hapening for a while now...

Many places in the world, 'pay to play' fishing is the norm...wonder if it will become so for us too?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread