Thread: Fly Tying desk design

Threaded View

I adapted an American Workbench for my fly tying needs. I recently colaborated with the owner John and we came up with this design. The height is shorter than standard so that the work surface is as-low-as-possible; and yet allows me to sit under it with my feet flat on the floor. Trying to be somewhat ergonomic here. You can order these any height. Or build one like it if you enjoy DIY projects with woodworking. Mine is going to be mainly just a tying desk and the shelf underneath will hold extra vises. I have a few different vises and want to be able to grab another easily when switching fly sizes/styles.

That small box sitting on the shelf gets mounted to the side of the desk top and has dividers. I ordered two of those boxes and they will hold coatings/liquids and larger tools.

I have other furniture for storage and organization of tying materials and don't know if I'll keep both drilled blocks that John came up with on top of the bench (they are just sitting there and can be moved around); or move one block to a storage surface next to this desk. I mostly wanted a solid yet comfy, warm feeling tying station and this wooden desk gives me a good feeling just looking at the image. Have not taken delivery yet and that is my name on this prototype "American Flytyer" model. You can see more pics of it on his site. I'd like to see him become a sponsor here and I've given him the link. His main biz is workbenches for shops and garages. See the "Flytyers bench" if interested.
    Last edited by flymaker2; 02-26-2009 at 05:24 AM.