Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
I recently bought a little package of maybe 8 feathers @ $7. Does anyone have a good source on maybe a little more of the bird like a cape for a decent price?
Personally I think those little packets from Spain are a COMPLETE WASTE. Yes, the feathers are nice enough, but not enough to justify their cost. Who they heck thinks it reasonable to pay that kind of money just to put a TAIL on a dry fly?

Whiting Farms has a product usually labelled "Whiting Tailing Pack" that contains three sections of CDL feathers suitable for dry fly tails. These used to be pretty cheap but it looks like the price has almost doubled in the last couple of years. Regardless, the Tailing Packs are still a MUCH better deal than the "real thing." You would think the Whiting CDL capes and saddles would work as well, but the feather on them just aren't as good as the Tailing packs.

Charlie Collin's name always comes up in these sorts of discussions as a potential supplier of conventional spade hackle. I haven't personally seen nor used his product, so you would have to contact him directly to find out what he might have available.

Luck.