+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: do you fish bamboo?

I "discovered" bamboo about 6 years ago. Mostly as I was delving more into the history of fly fishing. First of all no fly rod is as beautiful. I do like the slower, softer action of bamboo over graphite and as others have said, when you have a fish on there is no comparison to bamboo. It's also in what you like.

A big factor for me is that I simply enjoy doing things the "old way". Muzzleloaders, long bows and bamboo fly rods. The last couple years I've been visiting old style wet flys but fishing drys is still the most fun for me.

Vic

bamboo rod user for over forty years. But truth be told I sometimes use both fiberglass and graphite and enjoy the change

Smile

My one & only bamboo is very special to me, & is fished sparingly, and only when the weather is ideal, etc..sort of like when some folks only drive their prized classic convertible. This rod, a 1941 vintage 4 piece 7 1/2' South Bend 291, is a treasure gifted to me by Jerry Brumfield (Dot Man) & then beautifully restored by old Army buddy Leo DeMonbreun (dleo6446). Leo & I were together at Ft Benning, GA in 1966 & in addition to the restoration, he put my name & our unit (A-4-1) on the rod & somehow, found the original rod tube & that's how he shipped it back to me. Jerry couldn't get over the rod & tube when I showed it to him after Leo restored it. Obviously, the kindness & generosity of 2 great friends make this rod priceless to me.
    BTW, this rod casts & fishes beautifully!....just sparingly.
    Mike
    Last edited by ohiotuber; 02-13-2009 at 12:56 PM.
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

In 1972 I bought a 4 wt Sharpes "Scottie" which i used in the western Pa freestoners but as I moved to fishing in Michigan it didnt seem to handle the wind very well due to its short slow design and I got away from bamboo til last year that I finally built 3 bamboo rods, the third being a Dickerson taper with all the performance that I could hope for. I fished it for 3 days with the varnish barely dry and I'm sure this will start a new adventure for me.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

FG,John,Baldy,
    Thank you for the information.

Mark

Default Fun and a part of history

Mark, owning a bamboo rod and fishing it is like being part of history. You'll learn to cast it just fine and it may in fact be easier to use for many people.

If you acquire, build or assemble one, it will become an "instant" favorite rod that you'll cherish for years. I could not afford to buy one when I first started, so I went to flea markets and bought the Japanese imports from the 50's. This started an adventure into refinishing bamboo and learning about them. Some people considered these old rods cheap and heavy, but you know what, they started me on an adventure through history and rod building.

And as far as fishing them goes, it's a joy. I believe that all different rods/tapers/materials/actions/etc. can be fun and appreciated for what they are. Hope this helps.

Ron

With a graphite rod in hand, I am on a hunt- fast and attacking.
    Going to bamboo allowed me to enjoy catching fish. I finally slowed down to feel the boo load; the weight of a natural material balanced with a heavier reel during casting and the gentle bounce of a fish through the length of its sensitive fibers. In the past few years, I have found great enjoyment refinishing older bamboo rods and yes fishing them.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+

=

Last edited by clarkman23; 02-14-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

I have a few but my favorite is built on a Payne 100 taper,a very sweet rod to fish with a more medium action on small eastern streams. I have a 6wt that is surprisingly fast ( for boo) that is nice on western waters. I fish them about 30 % of the time. have fun trying out as many different tapers as you can.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Quote Originally Posted by sgallas2 View Post
    I have a few but my favorite is built on a Payne 100 taper,a very sweet rod to fish with a more medium action on small eastern streams. I have a 6wt that is surprisingly fast ( for boo) that is nice on western waters. I fish them about 30 % of the time. have fun trying out as many different tapers as you can.
    Best,
    Steve
    I am with you, I like the 100 also. If you get a chance to try an Edwards, I thing you would like that taper as well.

+ Reply to Thread