+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flies for Bluegill & Bass

Default Flies for Bluegill & Bass

Help! Been fly fishing for trout only up here. Suddenly find out I am going to Apache Lake for Thanksgiving campout. Could anyone quickly edumacate me on some good flies for Bluegill, Small and Largemouth bass?

Thanks in advance.

Gem

Jim,

Take a look at these...
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum24/HTML/000485.html:791ac]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum24/HTML/000485.html[/url:791ac]

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Wolly Buggers--Black and olive with a little flash in the tail will catch anything.

------------------

Bill

Hey Jim,

I don't know much about the weather
    where you'll be for Thanksgiving but assume
    at least you'll have soft water.*G* I'd
    suggest trying some of your trout flies. I'm
    pretty sure that nymphs should be effective
    as well as midges, scuds, and even the ever
    popular wooley buggers. Also leech patterns. Not so much difference in the
    menu's from the cold water trout hangouts
    to the warm water bluegill and bass. Give
    it a try. Warm regards, Jim

99% of what you use for trout will take Gill's..and afew poppers and fluffily tied dragon and damsel pattern will help you out alot in the cooler still waters of fall...maybe some fur tails or even shaggy fur boddies done in dubbing loop fashion...Magic tool helps out alot on such pattern's....I have alot of luck with such flies in early spring and late fall in lakes and streams when they are a tad colder..Hope you have a great time...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Gem,

This time of year most of the warm water fishing is going to be a little on the slow side. For the most part, gills and bass are going to very selective of what they take in cold water. Gills will be a little easier than bass this time of year.

As for flies to bring for fishing in the winter months, I tend to stick with the basic nymphs such as BH Prince (personal favorite for gills,) BH Gold Ribbed Hairs Ear, and BH Pheasant Tails.

I also like to hav a few small clousers with some sparse red dubbing tied behind the eyes with a very little red flash material in the body tye works well. Mostly I find that the red is used to simulate an injured and bleeding fish, and I fish the clousers accordingly.

Woolly buggers are also a good to have in the box, but I like to have them in bright colors (white or chatreuse are really good.)

Finally, a few poppers should be in the box. During the cooler months, I don't bring large poppers as I find they make to much noise and tend to spook fish. I like size 8 - 10 gill type poppers best. Colors to use white, yellow, or chartruse bodies with black or matching color tails work well. But the popper color that tends to work best during the color months (for me at least) is all black!!!

Now for the hard part, as a trout bum, I am sure you are used to using small flies (size 14 - 20.) On gills and bass, it is best to not use flies smaller than size 10! Gills tend to inhale their food, and small flies tend to go right into the gullet. Most of my nymphs are in size 8 and 10. The woolly's tend to be around size 8 - 10 as well.

Also plan on using a strike indicator wih the nymphs. Most of the takes in the colder months will be rather soft and subtle.

Look for most of your fish to be tight to cover and in deeper water this time of year. Bass and gills will feed year round, but expect the fishing to be a little slow.

Let us know how it goes!

Sincerely,
    Reg

They're right, the action can be slow at this time of year. Over the past month, I've found the trout to be a lot mroe willing than warm water fish. If you happen to go back in the spring, the action could be pretty fastand you will risk getting hooked on these fish for life. It's not unusual to catch sunnies on every other cast for hours on end.

As for flies though, try anything that wiggles. The more wiggle, the better! Buggers, soft hackles, Rangely Lakes style streamers in gaudish colors, or anything with rubber legs should do well.

Have a great time!

Go into the panfish archives for last year and look at Ricks Favorite bluegill and crappie flies. Around part 305 I think.
    Pictures and patterns. I have cauagfht bass on all of them.

Rick

Jim Hatch's little-bitty sliders. They work for me.

P.S. Jim's too modest.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 14 November 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Don't know where "up here" is, but this time of year fish slow. I've had good cold water fishing with Hare n Copper (hare's ear?) and with Stouff's Cajun wonder, the Jitterbee tied in alternating brown and black with some bass skirt for a tail. Also, a Gill Buster works great for both and is a great winter fly. Jig it slowly, too. Hope this helps. JGW

+ Reply to Thread