+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod Butts

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Wink

I've got fighting butts on everything from six weights up.

Come to think of it, every spinning rod, surf casting rod and about half my casting rods have something aft of the reel seat that could be thought of as an extended fighting butt or for the lack of a better term " leveraging butt's ", some nearly two feet in length.
    Nothing decorative about those.

Dave

If it can't eat a 3/0, it must be bait !

I view them the same way DG does. I spend more time untangling line from them than they are worth. I'll remove them if I can.

The same reason why I keep the knob on my reel facing out on my casting hand.

Take a rod without a fighting butt on it to the salt, tie into a big fish like a striper and you'll wish the heck you had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Micropteris View Post
    I view them the same way DG does. I spend more time untangling line from them than they are worth. I'll remove them if I can.

The same reason why I keep the knob on my reel facing out on my casting hand.

How do you get the line tangled on a rod butt. I do not recall ever having this happen. I don't recall ever seeing this happen to anyone else either. Just curious. I have had line catch on just about everything else, including a button on my shirt cuff. Of course, now I will probably wrap the rod butt several times tomorrow.

It will get tangled around the but when you cross your hands while your casting. Used to have that problem.

Kevin

I single hand spey and roll cast a lot in the salt for those "big fish like a striper". I like performing lots of mends, picking up and dropping line constantly during a drift or swing and tend my loose line as coils in my fingers. My hands are all over the place when I cast and even more so when I fish. The butt is just a nuissance and gets in the way most of the time for how I like to fish.

Dropping a nice fish to a pulled hook because your line is wrapped around the rod or handle is pretty annoying.

It's just a preference, just like as to what type of line you like to use.

I understand. Just curious how it happens.

I have fished in a few situations where I intentionally wrapped the line around the rod butt and reel seat. These were situations were giving line was not an option. May break the tippet, but don't loose a flyline.

I fish most of the time with a 2 handed rod and as such they have a built in fighting butt with the lower handle. Come in quite handy when fighting a 15 pound pissed off steelhead. Not only as a point of leverage with stuck under your belly (yes, I said under the belly, if you seen mine you would understand) but also holding it with the lower casting hand. Holding on to the lower handle works very well with the rod low and parrallel to the water during the fight.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I have an 11' 7/8wt that I just got this fall with a 2-3 inch butt. For me it helps casting it all day. I keep the butt behind my wrist and it helps to keep it straight on the back cast. I had a crush injury to my casting hand a long time ago and this really does make a difference for me. Using the rod I have without the fighting butt will result in a nasty case of tendinitis by the end of the day.

+ Reply to Thread