+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trout don't live in .....

Wink Trout don't live in .....

ugly places.

But are there places you don't care to fish, even though you know there is good or even great fishing to be had, because you don't care for the aesthetics of the place ??

For me, a couple are the Snake River downstream of Idaho Falls and some stretches of the Henry's Fork.

Great streamer fishing on the Snake for big browns and bows. But the four or five times I've gone to a highly regarded stretch down around Shelley, with all my gear and psyched to do it, I get there, look around, and go somewhere else.

Same thing for a few stretches of the Henry's Fork. Hard to beat the fishing, but the aesthetics just don't do it for me.

The question is not just for trout fishermen ( you, too, Betty and Joni ) but regardless of species.

John
    The fish are always right.

Both Agency and Klamath Lake which are only a few miles from the house. The water stinks and is full of algae. Despite that there are some very nice size rainbow trout in them. My biggest was close to 11 lbs but I haven't fished it in years.

Tim

Blog Entries

Default have any photos of that area?

what like to see less than pretty area.
    Last edited by spinner1; 02-08-2009 at 05:54 PM.

nighthawk Guest

Never met a stretch of fishable water that I did not like.

Blog Entries

Unhappy

any place that is elbow-to-elbow with people is ugly to me. I haven't been to the San Juan in a year, I turn around in the parking lot if my local water has more than a few cars in the lot, too. When people are close enough to talk to, they are too close.

Come to think of it, most of SW Montana looked like that, the last time I went through.

Dennis

I probably won't fish Amber Lake again. It's down in a small canyon and you can drive down to launch your pontoon or float tube. But, you can't park down there. My legs will no longer allow me to make the hike up an down the hill so I don't fish it. There are 20" - 22" rainbows in there with lots of good fish holding areas and no big boats. There is also one or two handycapped parking spots down there, but my doctor won't allow me to have a permit. I'd change doctors but I go to the Vet's and I'm quite limited with that option. Lots of other good spots to fish though.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

"Many moom ago" we used to love (and never miss) 'opening day' on the upper Yellowstone at Buffalo Ford. Big parking lot, big water, most no more than waist deep, at least a hundred fishing, one big party. Renewed past years friendships, swapped flies and lies. Big crowd, big day, big party,,,loved it. Solitude? Not a bit; exact opposite. Grand time for all. Pretty place too, no ugly water anywhere.

I've fished in some places on the Little J in Pa and some smaller streams in both PA and VA where the shore junk and garbage were horrible. I always try and take some trash out but I can't carry old refriges, and tires up the banks. Also a lot of broken glass in some areas. I'll fish somewhere else next time.

Anywhere I feel unwelcome. Can only think of one in the North Island, The Ohau channel, the main area is always crowded and the land owners downstream do not like anyone who is not the right colour so I do not bother with it.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Default Ugly places where trout live...

One I've tried several times is right at the OR CA border...purported trophy trout water and
    it prolly is but it's butt-ugly and I won't go there
    again.

No cheers for that place,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread