Betty I thought you may be interested in hearing from someone on the other side of the equation.
I was fishing spring creek in Caledonia NY not knowing a thing about what I was doing and it must have really shown. I had been to the local Orvis Shop and was all decked out with my tippet spools all hanging just so from my vest and my nippers and all the gadgets that Orvis told me I needed. I had my fly box well stocked with all the flies for Spring creek.
I was wandering the bank in a state of shellshock and was headed back to my car defeated. A fellow that was fishing there called to me and said" your'e passing up a lot of good real estate there" I explained to him that I was dumbfounded and he took the time to see how I had my rod rigged up. He made the adjustments such as putting a tippet on my leader( they don't just hang nicely from your vest after all) and put a couple micro split shot on and showed me which fly to use. He took a few extra minutes and made sure I knew how to tie a blood knot before he left me to fish. My third cast I had a nice little brown on and I'm not sure who was grinning more, me or this stranger.
All in all he gave up over an hour of his fishing time to help someone he had never met before. I never ran into him again after that but the memory has stayed with me for 27 years now as if it were yesterday.
I have found myself returning the great favor time and time again and have gotten the same joy out of it that this guy felt.