+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Fish-In '09 - Venice ?

David/Tony count me in. Any beach fishing?

Default trip

I'll be down that way n 2 months!!

Default Florida Fish-In Dates

OK, we have interest, can we try to nail the dates...

How about Thursday, Friday and Saturday March 26th, 27th and 28th with an early meet-up somewhere on Wednesday evening? Sunday can be optional for those that don't have far to travel home!

Do we want the base to be Venice as in year's past or somewhere else (but, close by)?

If anyone is interested in sharing a cottage or bunkhouse let me know by bmail. I am finding some very reasonable places available on Manasota Key and Lemon Bay.

We know the wading opportunities are good on Lemon Bay; but, we don't know what other secret spots the local folks have.

What do y'all think?

Fishingene, a few of them walked the beach last year & caught blue runners and some other fish like pompano, ladyfish & jack crevavlles. You know it depends on how warm it gets by then for beachin it. Seems reload caught his first fish on the fly with Gils Gone Wild, Thunderthumbs & his fishing friend ( can't remember his name ) also having some hookups. There were fish caught in Lemon Bay & up off Blackburn Point. Kevin at Casey Key Anglers & Outfitters had suggested the event be scheduled closer to April for the spanish mackeral & albie run off the beaches. There's always the ICW & snook alley for some nightime dock strikes. Since most of the replies are from the usual southwest gulf pirates, might be better for shortened mid-week to weekend get together event ........ but it's all on Margaritaville time as of now; just like the 28 to 33 degree temps for the past few nights

Default The first two weeks of April starts...

...the Easter holidays this year and many schools are closed from April 4th through the 13th. The kids are out of school so beaches will be more crowded and rates go up!

The last full weekend of March is the 28th-29th.
    Last edited by SW Ladyfish; 01-26-2009 at 02:09 AM.

Default BBQ or "hook-up" site

Once y'all have settled on the dates, I know that Dave, Kevin, and I will be glad to help co-ordinate the "meeting spots," fishing places," BBQ, etc.

Late March also opens up possibilities for bonito and/or Spanish mackerel off the barrier islands, so make sure you bring some wire.

Tight Loops,
    Tony

Greeting from bloody cold Montana. It's somewhere around -20 tonight, so, so...um, so I'm a bit jealous, ok, there, I said it...lol.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it this year or not. I just moved to Montana, so it's not likely, but my friend, Dan, will be down there again for a few weeks. Dan was telling me that there are some pretty good rates on airline tickets, so if I can get a good deal, then I'll be down there for sure. Lord only knows I'll probably be due for a few days in the warm sun.

But if I don't make it, then you guys have fun without me...lol.

Thunderthumbs.

Default SO!!! Who? When? Where?

We KNOW the WHY.

Now we need to piece the puzzle of schedules together so the Pirates can figure out the best way to send the Wannabes to "sleep with the fishes"??? Or is that CATCH the fishes??? Never could keep that straight. Luca and Freddie had SO much in common. In the end, that is.

So, how aboot (for any Canadian friends) a head-count/update.

The fronts APPEAR to have almost pushed through, and the fishing SHOULD get back to normal within the week (there's a weather forecast for tomorrow--Monday--through Wednesday). Sunny and mid-70s after that.

My Chicago client boated a 4lb snook and missed a double-digit snook, plus hooked a nice jack which then was "head-bumped" by a 10-pounder while being played. Lots of trout around. Reds in CH but finicky. Scattered throughout Lemon Bay.

OK. Next step's up to y'all!

Tight Loops,
    Tony

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

From SW Ladyfish ... "How about Thursday, Friday and Saturday March 26th, 27th and 28th with an early meet-up somewhere on Wednesday evening? Sunday can be optional for those that don't have far to travel home!"

These days/dates work for me.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Default Is everybody onboard????

If the group likes those dates, you could meet at my house Wednesday about 6pm for a BBQ and "orientation" session. 387 Gulf Breeze Blvd., Venice. It's in the Venice East subdivision, just south of Jacaranda Blvd. and US 41. Gulf Breeze turns off of Venice East Blvd, which is the main drag through the sub. 941-496-4289.

I can pick up burgers/sausage/buns ahead of time. Would appreciate any help with the cost y'all could throw in, and please BYOB. PLEASE give me a head-count a couple days ahead of time to make sure there's enough chow.

We'll be tying flies at the shop Thursday from 6-8pm if anyone wants to come and hang out. We have spare vises, etc.

Tight Loops,
    Tony

+ Reply to Thread