Thread: A few hairwing salmon flies

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Plunker View Post
    Logan, I'm trying to teach myself Salmon flies thru the atlantic tying series here...been practicing floss on some big hooks and it's getting a lot smoother but I still have a fundamental problem with getting the thread started on the tag to begin tying in materials. Your tag looks really good, mine tend to have too much thread for starters.

the instructions call for starting thread with a couple of wraps...I seem to need 5 or six wraps to get the thread started. Am I missing something? Starting thread on a #12 Dry hook is no problem with a wrap or two...these 1/0, 1, and 2's don't seem to hold the thread and Ive got either a bump or a long section of flat wraps before I even get started . (Using 6/0 unwaxed Uni thread)

Got any hints please?
    Plunker,

The Atlantic Tying Series here is great, but I found most of my problems were resolved and my questions were answered through books. I recieved Dick Talleur's "Pretty and Practical Salmon Flies" this Christmas and I swear by it now. It had so many tricks that would leave you thinking, "Hey, why didn't I think of that?".

I start my thread on the double wire near the eye of the hook for most of my flies. It is said that this has the effect of bringing the return wire closer to the hook. This is a problem though when you are making a classic tag and tip. In that case, you would start the thread at the bend and would be forced to only use a few thread wraps. I'm not sure where you're having a problem. Maybe you could try using an 8/0 thread. Even on larger flies, you can use an 8/0 to tie in the more delicate materials (tip, tag, body material, rib, etc.) then switch to a heavier thread when tying in your wing.

Hope this helps,

Logan
    Last edited by logan1193; 01-24-2009 at 05:00 PM.