+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gorilla Glue

Hybrid View

I haven't but I did have a friend who did, cracked the cork rings in several places because of too much glue and too tight a fit to the graphite. I actually prefer the Loctite 5 Minute Epoxy with the mixing tube tips, no mess, just put the tip on and squeese the plungers on the double syringe. Downfall is you only have 5 minutes from start to finish, and the tubes have to be thrown out after use, so plan well ahead. I usually do my epoxy work in groups, like 2 or 3 things at once, like the fighting butt, reel seat, cork grip, and rod tip in one shot. At over 5 bucks a package, I need to do as much as I can with that 1 package to make it cost effective.

Jeeze,,, another guy who uses epoxy on the rod tip-top? "They will get my 'rod-tip' glue stick when they pry it from my cold-dead fingers!"

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Jeeze,,, another guy who uses epoxy on the rod tip-top? "They will get my 'rod-tip' glue stick when they pry it from my cold-dead fingers!"
    JC, here in Arizona that Hot Melt glue just melts while fishing. It's 5 minute epoxy or lose your tip top!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PanFisher View Post
    JC, here in Arizona that Hot Melt glue just melts while fishing. It's 5 minute epoxy or lose your tip top!
    Wow must get awfull hot in Arizona JC -- the tip top adesive I use takes over 200 degrees F to melt. Wait till the epoxy tip comes off while fishing and you dont have a stick of hot melt handy. BILL

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald View Post
    Wow must get awfull hot in Arizona JC -- the tip top adesive I use takes over 200 degrees F to melt. Wait till the epoxy tip comes off while fishing and you dont have a stick of hot melt handy. BILL
    Bill, I haven't used the newer stuff. I understand it holds up a lot better than what I used before I went to the 5-minute epoxy.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    I only use that with the Recoil Tips, as long as the rod blank doesn't break, it will be there as long as the blank survives. I use the rod tip stick cement to hold the singlefoot guides in place when starting my wraps, I don't use them for the tips anymore because the adhesive gets real soft when heated up on the dash of the truck or on a real hot summer day in the boat, and I hate watching the tip slide down the line towards a lure or fly because of adhesive failure.
    Besides you can heat the epoxy up to remove the tip, just have to get it hotter than if it was the tip cement.

+ Reply to Thread