+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Polyprop and similar flies

1. Default Polyprop and similar flies

If people want the dressings I can provide them.

TL
    MC
    Last edited by Mike-Connor; 12-10-2008 at 09:40 PM.

2. Default

TL
    MC

3. Default

Cord supplies;

http://www.macramesuperstore.com/mac...-100-Yard.aspx

http://www.macramesuperstore.com/mac...lry-Cords.aspx

http://www.carolsrugs.com/macrame_cord.htm

http://www.kingskountry.com/

The metallics should be great for some baitfish etc, I have not tried any of the metallics yet, but I think they should be great;

http://www.macramesuperstore.com/cra...c--spc-12.aspx

There are plenty more suppliers, and the cord is cheap enough. You can make a huge number of flies from 100 yards of cord, even big flies! So it is best to get a range of colours together with a few other interested parties, unless you can get yard or metre lengths somewhere.

TL
    MC
    Last edited by Mike-Connor; 12-11-2008 at 12:42 AM.

Very neat flies. I am sure the probably work wonders.

What size cord are you using?

Thumbs up Ecellent !!!

Most cool Mike !!!!!

Question

Mike,
    I noticed the fly pattern made with green parachute cord. The steelheaders here, use that cord to make slinkys, which are used to sink their lures. Have you ever put shot in the cord, to sink the fly?
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wingsdlc View Post
    Very neat flies. I am sure the probably work wonders.

What size cord are you using?
    I use various diameters and types of cord, depending on the size, property, and specific action required of the fly or component in question. Usually anything from 1/2 mm up to 6 mm nominal diameter.

The soft braid sizes are only given as nominal diameters, because it is physically impossible to measure the diameter of braid, and so it is estimated based on the number of braided fibres. I mention this apparently esoteric factum, because "actual" diameters vary considerably, also when the braid is tightened or loosened. ( Which also allows various tricks and manipulations). What one person "measures" as 3mm may be nominally 4mm, etc.

The legs on the fingernail and foam frog for instance, are 2mm nominal diameter soft solid polypropylene braid. Hard braided polypropylene is no use, it is not usually flexible enough, when it is, it is too "floppy" to use, and the braiding pattern is different. The point here, is that the frog?s legs are buoyant, flexible but still maintain their shape and tension, and the action when the frog is moved is the same as a real frog makes.

This lure is fished on a sinking line, retrieved so it "plops" and dives, and then swims up to the surface again in the attitude of a real frog. It also "hangs" in the surface film like a real frog. Realistic flies are no use unless they imitate the action as well as the appearance of the creature concerned. It is also desirable that they be easy to cast, and as durable as possible.

All the flies shown have caught large numbers of fish in various places under various conditions. The action and properties are more important than the appearance, even though some of these look quite lifelike, ( and could be made even more so if desired), and these are dependent on the properties of the materials concerned. I have worked on some of these flies for a long time in order to ensure that the materials and actions were correct, and as optimum as I could make them.

The main characteristic of soft-braided cord is the fact that the braid strands are made up from a multitude of very fine strands, and these strands are then braided. There are various types of braiding as well. The macrame cord I mentioned and gave URL?s for is the soft braid which is required for these patterns.

This type of cord is available at various places in a wide range of diameters and colours.

TL
    MC
    Last edited by Mike-Connor; 12-11-2008 at 12:48 AM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DShock View Post
    Mike,
    I noticed the fly pattern made with green parachute cord. The steelheaders here, use that cord to make slinkys, which are used to sink their lures. Have you ever put shot in the cord, to sink the fly?
    Doug
    That is not the same thing. The cord used in these patterns is solid soft braided cord. You can?t place something in it like a tube. Although you can push things through it if you loosen the braid, ( a hook for instance, or various things lateral to the braid).

The cord you mention is not actually a cord, but a cylindrically woven braid with a hollow centre. This too can be used for various patterns, and one may then place things in the cylinder.

TL
    MC
    Last edited by Mike-Connor; 12-11-2008 at 12:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread