+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying desks

Hybrid View

Default Tying desks

I've been finding a lot of time on my hands to do things other than fish and tie here lately, and the thought occurred to me that I could really use a tying desk. Since I can't afford to buy one and I have a truckload of lumber at my disposal, I figured, "Why not?" The bad part is, I'm really indecisive and don't know where I want to start.

I've looked at desks on the internet and magazines and am fairly unimpressed by them. Too little storage, not big enough, or something like that. I'm curious if anyone has built their own desks. It doesn't have to be real pretty or anything, but as long as it doesn't look like it was thrown together by a 3 year old trying to get it finished before bedtime, it'll be fine.

BTW-I've pretty much become a "do-it-yourselfer" and buying one is not so much an option, especially since I can't afford it.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Joe,

I don't know what your setup and floor plan looks like but here is an idea that is working well for me. We moved a few years ago into a smaller house and I lost my large fishing/ tying room and had to relocate it into a smaller den/bedroom type room. There was a closet area with no doors on it. It was very easy to customize this area into a tying station because it already had three walls to frame against. If you can find a couple of narrow matching dressers that fit into each end of the closet then you can put a top across them to form your table top and have room between the dressers for your legs. Customize the top part with shelves and lights to suit your needs.

If your closet has doors you might be able to use them to enclose everything when you are not using it. Just an idea for consideration.

I my case I found an inexpensive upper cabinet at Staples that fit perfectly into the upper section of the closet.

Good luck.

Jim C

As an empty nester, I am fortunate enough to have my very own "Man Cave". Last winter I upgraded my tying desk with the top from an old rolltop I picked up at the local Goodwill for $80 and the bottom (desk part) from Craig's list for around $40 for a total cost of under $150 with additional materials, stain finish etc. The desk is 5 feet long, made out of solid oak and weighs a ton. I customized it with a sliding out working platform which I use for rod building etc. You can see the pull out work surface in the second photo. This desk has been one of the best investments I've made for my fly tying activities. Plenty of room, set up at the height I like and I can close the rolltop when not is use which makes my wife happy.

Here are a couple of photos including one of the motorized dubbing brush twister that I designed; just to give you some ideas as you start you search.

Jim Smith

Default Nice desk

I have the same kind of desk without the pullout section. That would be great for rod building. I seem stuck on a old fold away table when working with rod stuff. Wife got it for me when I got diagnosed with cancer. It has really made me feel good to tie flies on it.
    Last edited by flashhackle; 12-04-2008 at 02:00 AM. Reason: spelling issues

Blog Entries

I love your desk. I have wooden tv try for my tying table. I got in on clearance for six bucks. I have a clamp vise on it, and it is loaded down with fly junk. It isn't the most comfortable, but it has worked for almost a year of tying.

Hey, Jim, getting pretty fancy with the dubbing brush twister.

Is the knob in front to "set" the white material platform? ...and what did you make that white platform out of?

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Hey, Jim, getting pretty fancy with the dubbing brush twister.

Is the knob in front to "set" the white material platform? ...and what did you make that white platform out of?
    Hey Duck,
    I would say that baby is the "furniture grade model"!
    I'm curious about that knob too.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

If on the other hand you've been an extra good boy or girl this year, and you want to have a"well organized, self-contained" tying area that you can hide in plain sight you can consider this.

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...7/product.html

Jim Smith

And on the other hand...how many of you who think you don't have space...or can't afford some of the storage things...have thought of doing something like this?

You all must have a closet door.

Wow that's cool!!!! But as good as I have been I haven't been that good.
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

+ Reply to Thread