I agree and have used this cast with overhanging trees/brush. It works great for nymphing or bead fishing where you are drifting the presentation along the bottom.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by flybop View Post
While there will never be a consenus on rod weight and length, there are very good reasons on both sides, there are some useful casts to learn for small streams that work on any rod.

There is a cast that I have not seen mentioned that I do not even know what it is called, but water haul kinda describes it. If you want to make a fairly long cast and there is absolutely no room for a back cast and low overhanging brush makes a roll cast impossible try this. With your rod tip low strip some line out and allow the current to take your fly, leader and line downstream and hang in the current. WAG the amount of line you need and then, using the drag of the current to load the rod, basically this is your back cast, make your forward cast keeping your rod tip low.

There are some issues with this cast though. Your dry fly will get water logged quickly and you will have lots of water spray coming from your line and leader. One way to minumize line spray is to shoot a few feet of line and maybe even throw a bit of curve into the forward cast.

This cast does work wonders though even if it is a one shot deal. With a little practice you will be getting your flies into places that you never thought possible before.