Quote Originally Posted by glm38 View Post
I guess when you put it that way a high quality drag could be considered a luxury. But to me using the "palming" method of applying drag has never worked that well except in limited situations. I know it works well for a lot of people though. Probably works best for people that get to fish a lot. But I'm a busy professional and my time on the water is pretty limited.

Size of the fish is all relative isn't it? Am I envious that a 20" plus fish is the average in your neck of the woods? Sure at least a little. But I'm perfectly content with the challenges in my neck of the woods.

Greg
It is really difficult to communicate the proper tone on a forum... my apologies...

I am in agreement with you regarding the value of a quality drag. Can we get by without it, sure, but I am sure glad that I have one.

I also apologize for appearing boastful... Alaska is certainly known for large fish... I sure wasn't seeking to generate envy, rather make the point and maybe adding a little excitment...

I do know what you are saying. There is a creek that I love to fish where the average is more like 16" (except for the salmon fo course), but the action is often non-stop and there is not another human in sight or sound! So, the value of fishing is way more than the size of the fish or even the number of hook-ups. It is about the experience. I mention this creek specifically here: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=24499

Cheers