WFNC,

I went on-line and looked at your canoe's specs. That I can tell, your boat's "Poly Link" hull is not one of those sandwich-type hulls (where two plastic sheets are bonded against both sides of a sheet of foam).

However, the Old Town site claims the boat has "built-in flotation" -- which means either the hull material floats or else flotation tanks have been encapsulated (usually in the bow and stern ends).

The question of whether the canoe's hull material contains trapped air is relevant. I wanted to suggest that you install a portable fish finder whose transducer is mounted INSIDE the boat and shoots its ultrasonic beam through your boat's hull. But if your boat's hull uses a layer of trapped-air foam then that suggestion will not work. It might be you need to go with an externally mounted transducer, or one that's hand-held, or something cast-able.

I will soon be writing a Warm Water story that describes (with photos) how a "through the hull" transducer can be inexpensively mounted on suitable boats. Meantime, I submitted a new story Saturday about a recent trip in which I used my canoe's portable fish finder to do exactly what you want to do -- find out what's down there. Fish finders, even the very cheapest ones, give us a lot of information we'd be hard pressed to acquire by other means.

Joe
"Better small than not at all."