Here's the follow-up.

I really, really dig the GP7/8s reel. I lined it with WF6F clouser and 150 yds of gel-spun backing. The drag is pretty stout - I got down and dirty with a 20-lb king yesterday morning and was able to really slow him down, though I wasn't targeting the salmon.

The rod WAS nice the first day. A ten-footer really helps keep line off the water for high-stick indie fishing. The A5 has a soft enough tip for good roll casts while helping to protect that tippet on strikes during the swing.

HOWEVER - second morning out, ten casts in the tip section BROKE. Likely due to an untimely encounter with a weighted streamer (i.e. user error), so it will be going back to Albright.

All that in mind, I am still very pleased with the purchase. I fought a half-dozen steelhead up to 8 lbs on the A5. Handled the clouser line exquisitely well and was light in hand. A pleasure to cast all day long! I imagine I'll get many years of use out of it - fresh and saltwater - once I get that tip section replaced.

So again, thanks Albright for prompt service and good products. The gear bag was a HUGE help with keeping reels, waders, and other misc. items organized.

Marty