+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Light line rods

Default Light line rods

On another board the question of light line, delicate rods came up. I saw many mentions of T & T, Winston, and Sage. But I did not see any mention of the Orvis Superfines. They have peaked my curiosity here lately as I will be visiting a famous spring creek this winter. They seem like fine rods in the catalog. Cheaper than the top of the line models, easy casting, made in Vermont, been around forever. I can't wait until my dealer gets in a Trout Bum for me to test. What are your thoughts on them?

Thanks,
    Ben

I came to own Orvis Superfine rods fairly lately. I have two, a 7/11 (7'11" 4 wt) its a soft rod, bends plumb down to the butt cap. Its a small fly, light tippet rod but if you get in time with it it will throw 40-50' of line easily. Also I have a Far and Fine (7'9" 5 wt), I bought it from LenH (Spinner) in the chat room in May I believe. It is a fine all round trout rod. I have heard tales of folks throwing a whole fly line with one but I have not tried. Yet it is delicate and precise. I wish I had had one a long time ago, great rod.

The only rod you mention I can compare Superfines to is Winston IM6 (WT)...different action, not better or worse, just different.

I would suggest you cast the rods you are interested in, then make your choice.

We recently had a new rod here to test from
    Global Dorber (a Sponsor) - a 2/3 weight which has a bamboo action. VERY nice.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

+ Reply to Thread