Born in the 20's--dad had orders to fill so around the age of nine I finally could do a good job of tying with only hook material and scissor. Three fingers thumb, and middle to hold the hook and material,index to hold the thread to the hook until I would half hitch. The half hitch would leave you pause between adding material. Most were New England Carrie Stevens type streamers for landlocks but we also tied very small flies. With a little yankee ingenuity I found a jewelers Pin Vise would hold those small hooks better than fingers. Then in high school shop class I built a cam vise that still works today. Add material,half hitch add material--easy.
You will find true old flies with colored heads are painted---we had only black thread. Just like Ford in those days any color as long as its black. We used yellow red and white paint.
I used to tie with my fingers during fly club meetings--I'll have to get back to doing that again. Try a Royal Wulff. I sat at Lee Wulffs tying desk and there wasnt a vise in sight. Bill