Hi Freshwaterpirate,

For tackle shops, in Auckland you could check out Rod & Reel. They do both fresh and salt water fly. Some of the fellows that work there have been (and may still be) on the NZ national team. Yoshi guides from that shop, more to teach you how to fish without needing a guide than just to put you on the fish.

Pretty much all the rivers I've mentioned are fairly easy to fish. The Waihou and Waimakiriri (near Tirau) are small, don't require long casts, and have lots of fish. It's a river I take most people who've never fly fished before and all have caught their first fish there! In Tirau, stop at the corregated iron dog (trust me, you'll know it when you see it) and ask for directions from there (it's not far).

Just outside of Rotorura is the township of Ngongataha. There's a holiday park there (Waiteti Trout Stream Holiday Park), which is where we stay. It's right on the Waiteti River, which is easy to fish, and you can walk down to fish the mouth where some pretty big browns come in at night. There's a fellow who guides out of there, Harvey, who is very good and again, who's guiding is designed for pure beginners (and he's very affordable!). In Rotorura there are a number of good tackle shops, with Hammil's and O'Keefes being my two favorites. The guys there can give you all the info as to where is fishing well.

I don't fish the Tapau region very often I'm afraid. The Tongariro is a big river, and can require some pretty long distance casting, but there are sections that can be easily fished without having to cast a mile and a half. There's a shop right by the river, near Breakfast pool, that has some good stuff in it, and there are shops in town that are really good too. Mike Thomas knows the area better than I do, and I'm sure he'll have some suggestons.

- Jeff