+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any body having better luck on the Squannicook (Mass)

Default Any body having better luck on the Squannicook (Mass)

I've been down to the Squannicook river a few times this last week and got skunked every time. Usually at this time of year I can catch a half dozen trout on a nice afternoon. I have seen no fish, and no bugs on, above or in the water. I don't know if the flooding scrambled the river of if I'm just not doing something right. I'm fishing all my usuall spots with no luck. Maybe I need to try some new spots.

I never fished there, but here in Western MA the waters are still very high and full of silt. It makes fishing more difficult because the fish are in different lies and the visibility makes the flies harder for them to see. I have not done much fresh water fishing in the last few weeks because of that.

Add that we should be seeing more rain this week, I don't know when the fishing will return towards the norm.

jed

one problem is it did not get the fall stocking this year, first there was no water, then to much water....the only fall stockings in rivers were the catch and release areas on the millers and the swift.. other than that the state put them in the ponds.....once the water settles, if it does!there should be a few hold overs. i know i'll be out looking for the browns. i know there in there

I called Mass wildlife, and they told me the river had been stocked. It is high and fast, but fairly clear, though the bottom has been silted as the sand is very soft. I did have some luck at a local pond over the weekend (16" rainbows) so maybe I'll stick to that for now.

wish mass wildlife would make up there mind.... if you ask three people the same question you get three different answers

------------------
    do what u like, like what u do

+ Reply to Thread