Thread: So you build rods, what do you do with them?

Threaded View

I build a lot of rods. Unlike most I hate diamond wraps and snakeskin and all the other stuff people put on rods. do I admire people who do that yes! I have done it as well . I built my own wrapper out of scrap material I cut off of a pallet and stuff I had laying around. Cost me under $20.00. Got my dryer from ebay $24.00. Built a cork press for attaching the cork to the rod and the reel seat cost under $3.00. do they look preaty HE double toothpick no but they work. I build spinning, casting and fly rods. I gve my first ones to my friends and family. My son who could not cast a fly rod more then 20 feet got a 3wt from me that he casts almost all the line on it and has better action then a rod I bought for 3 times the money. He is my greatest salesman. I have built rods that sold for more money then I care to think about. A very good builder told me not to sale myself short. He was right. I build the style of rod I like to build at the cost I like to charge. It is more of a personnal satisfaction to me much like tying your own fly's and catching a fish on them. It only has to be as expensive as you want it to be. It is very easy to build a very good fishable rod for under $100.00 and as previously mentioned it will fish as good or better then the rods costing 3 times as much. If you decide to enter into this very dark hole be advised it is addictive. There are a lot of good builders here such as steve from midwest custom rods, smersky, ol blue, and many more just to name a few. If I can help in anyway let me know. Oh yes never never never be ashamed of a rod you build. It has your energy, love, and affection put into it so it is the best there is. BOB
    Last edited by harleybob87; 10-02-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling