Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
Buddy, ....trailer type

I am realizing I should have been more specific but good info coming re: you warm water folks.

Actually I have a buddy [good pun huh] who wants me to tie up some buggers that don't get as many short strikes ....trout...
I hate to give up the motion of the longer tail marabou so am thinking a "trailer" hook might be a good answer.

If anyone wants to take this thread off into discussing dealing with short strikes ...feel free.
You might try tying some tube style. That way you have only one hook and it puts the hook back in the marabou they sure help for short strikes, and work just as well or better than the traditional tye. Also the shorter hooks used tying these are harder for the fish to throw. Gamakatsu or Owner makes some super sharp hooks that work well but are more costly, just use what ever brand you prefer but keep them short. You might even try the circle type hooks and like them, I haven't tried them myself but I know a few who have and they swear by them. I am going to try them when I run out of the hooks I use now for tube flies.
I'll be the first to say my advice and $2 may get you a cup of coffee in a cheap place, but it might be worth a try.
I wish the best to you, Jesse